Very excited!!

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Can you get some Microworms and Grindal worms? I give them to all my Apistogramma fry and they really like them. I now keep combined cultures and can send you some, but I won't be able to post them until Saturday. I think they like the worms because they wriggle and trigger the "live food" response. I pipette them in with a suspension of crushed Astax Red Crumb, and usually the fry soon get the idea and have a go at that as well. I start pipetting the Grindal worms when the fry don't look anything like big enough to eat them, it is amazing how little a fry can eat a Grindal worm.

The other live food I occasionally feed are very small Cyclops, these don't have much food value because they fry rarely catch up with them, but it is very entertaining to watch them trying.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
would vinegar eels work?
They will, they are about the same size as Micro-worms (might be a bit smaller), and they live a long time in fresh water, main problem is that they swim much higher up in the water column, so they are good for Gourami fry etc., but not so good for Apistos, Cories etc.

How about squeezing a filter sponge and pipetting the gunge to the fry, it is full of rotifers but the fish might be a bit big now. Do you want me to send a worm culture? they are incredibly low maintenance.

cheers Darrel