What Tetras(Characidae) do you have?

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Currently have 10 neons,they've been in the tank about a month now,with no issues.They normally shoal,but occasionally you get the odd 1 wander off on there own.They certainly add some colour to the tank.

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
I've got a dozen or so black neons that i bought to cycle a tank, they tend to spend alot of time together but as my Geos get bigger they might not be around for much longer.

young1nj

May 28, 2009
Michigan
I recently purchased 5 red eye tetras and 2 Buenos Aires tetra's for a hypan tank. I like them because they are fairly hardy, school together, are larger than your neons etc, and do good in many water parameters. Someone mentioned the BA tetras like to eat plants, and I have also noticed some a fin being nipped when they were settling in so I avoid adding them to any long finned fish tanks.

If my camera weren't out of batteries I would shoot a pic, here are some pics from the web.

The BA tetra

The RE tetra

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Currently have 10 neons,they've been in the tank about a month now,with no issues.They normally shoal,but occasionally you get the odd 1 wander off on there own.They certainly add some colour to the tank.
Just added 12 glowlights into the same tank and they seem to shoal well with the neons.

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
I just picked up 10 Diamond tetras (and 4 galaxy rasboras) for £3 from a lfs. The tetras dont really shoal but look nice and active.

andyj

Apr 25, 2009
Derby
I've got a fair mixture of tetra's in my 4' community tank, made up of the following:

Lemon Tetra's
Xray Tetra's
Rummynose Tetra's
Blue Tetra's (bought from Pier last Feb!)

The Lemon's are the most colourful of the lot, having coloured up nicely compared to when they were in the shop (very pale).

The Blue Tetra's are the most boistrus of the lot, and are always the first to feed, and shove everything else out of the way.... that was until I stuck the Geo's in there! ;)

Been looking at topping up the shoal of Lemon's as I'm down to about 11, having started with 15 about 3 years ago. But at £2 ea at my local MA, I think I'll leave them for a bit.... unless I can get a deal at the weekend when I try getting an even better deal on the Farlowella's :D

Dec 20, 2009
West Sussex
I have a group of 6 lemon tetra - quite interesting because the largest one has much brighter colours, i presume this is because he is the 'alpha' fish, and the thinnest one is quite dull. they generally spend most of their time in a tight group, and wander around the tank at mid-level.

i also have 6 neon tetra - they are quite shy, stay near the bottom of the tank most of the time, and are not tight shoalers. however, once it comes to feeding time they will quite happily rip food out of a krib's mouth - literally!

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Lemon Tetras are smart fish for a planted tank, I'd really recommend them. I think you are right about the colour, they are sexually dimorphic, some people will tell you that the only difference is in the marking on the anal fin (male have a much more prominent black line), but actually mature males are much brighter coloured all around.

cheers Darrel

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I like the look of the Lemon tetra, might have to get some if i come across any:yes: