Just a howdy to all

MamaSueD

Jan 10, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Howdy fellow Pleco lovers,
I am MamaSueD and I thank you for admitting me to your group. Just a little about myself so I don't bore you all.
I am a wife, mother, and grandmother. I have only been keeping fish aquariums for a little over a year. I have at present 5 tanks going but nothing really happening in any of them at this point. My two biggest tanks were both given to me. The first one, a 33 gallon was from my son, daughter's husband, and included fish also. At the start I had a pleco that was about 6" long,I'm not sure what kind he was, a 6" Bala shark, a 5" Angelfish, 6 danios, and a real Siamese Algae Eater who was about 4" long. All the fish in this tank were and/or are over 10 years old when I got it. The pleco was the first to die. We just found him one morning and had no signs that anything was wrong. Since then the Bala has died and 5 of the danios have died. I've added to this tank a Otocinclus Catfish, and an Albino Bristlenose Pleco. The second tank is a 35 gallon and right now contains only snails, shrimp, an Upside-Down Catfish, and an Albino Bristlenose Pleco. My 10 gallon tank has a couple gold-fish, snails, and a Siamese Algae eater. Then I have a 5 gallon with a Female Betta I raised from a baby and some baby mystery snails in it. The last tank I have is a 11/2 gallon with just some mystery and nerite snails in it. I also have 3 yo-yo loaches that are in a holding tank right now and I'm not sure where I will put them at.
Anyway, that is my set up.
I do have a question as per something I have been reading on the forum.
What or where can I get some information on the L-identification numbers that has pictures to go with them? I have seen a couple places that gives names and numbers but I am really just starting to learn to identify the many different pleco fish and would love to be able to add this identification/classification information to what I am learning and pictures help. I forgot to add, I am hoping to have a 125 gallon tank by the end of this year and hopefully be able to give up at least one of the smaller tanks I have. It is a dream, we will see if it happens or not.

Thanks again for having me here and for any information you can give me.
Thanks,
MamaSueD
:hi:

Last edited:

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
A hoy hoy and welcome

Another amazing resource is the "cat-elog" online, it's probably the best catfish database on the planet.

Last edited:

MamaSueD

Jan 10, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks, I will check it out. I did find the pictures of the Lnumbers on here today. I just hadn't looked around enough and even that was a big help!
Thanks again

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

... welcome to plecoplanet.

If you want distinguish plecos there are important characteristics in the genera:

• the number of softrays in the dorsal fin
  • have the pleco a adipose fin or not?
  • the body height
  • the length (but not all fishes are adult ;) )

You can find a overview there: genera of plecos.

An other helpful, complementary method is to look for mouth and teeth of the pleco.

Greetings
Elko

MamaSueD

Jan 10, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks for the warm welcome. I can already tell there is a lot I can learn from the forums here. Thanks for the advice, I will have to look more closely at my fish!