How many hairs make a male L134

Mr h

Mar 2, 2014
Chester
Getting views of L134 are difficult at best to guess sex of fish .mine are quite active dawn and dusk ,when one shows hold your breath and freeze I'm not keen on fishing them out don't like stressing them .
I have several tails sticking out of caves and from under logs ,I can spot hairs on some tails but not as much as I have seen on some pictures on sexing threads I've also read that females can be hairy before breeding condition .
So when does hairy become male.
:wb:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I would have to look very closely to see hairs on the tails of my females and I have lots of very mature females. If it's obviously hairy on the tail chances are it's male. How big is the fish?

Mr h

Mar 2, 2014
Chester
I have 4 hairy fish from2 half inches to 4 half inches ,I also have 3 non hairy as far as I can see around 2half to 3 half also a few other fish that I can't see they very rarely come from there hiding place
The obvious 4males 3females but reading so many articles there seems to be conflicting points of view
I'm not getting any aggression so the ratio is not a problem yet
I suppose the next time I do major clean or decor I'll fish um out and have a good look and take some pictures

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
also when you do a big clean up, take a chance to take some good shots. Both M and F have hairs, the males have however many more on the tail and head area. cheers jk :thumbup:

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
Females are easy to tell. They are nice and smooth. Once they are nice and fat like the one in the picture, you just need to get the conditions right and they will all be lining up at the males' caves. Just make sure you get each male a cave or they will be fighting for it like a game of music chairs.

Last edited:

Mr h

Mar 2, 2014
Chester
Thanks ,got some big fattys just like me
Trying to get conditions right for breeding started with almond leaves and getting a bit of flow and quality protein food new era discus
Going to leave em to it if that fails could be wrong season I'll Wait till autum
Could dust the old Barry White cd out but wife might get wrong idea
:)