Removing Pleco's from aquarium furniture

dan7uk

Apr 12, 2016
Coventry UK
Hi all,

I currently midway between transferring fish from my Trig 190 to an AquaOak 340 set up. I have left my 2 Clown Loach, 2 Pakistani Loach, L200 & 2 X Albi Bristle's until last to move.
The problem I have is that most of them live within a plastic WW2 aircraft wreck décor piece (similar shown here FYI) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plane-Crash-Aquarium-Ornament-Fish-Tank-Decoration-New-/351200771352 that I have in the tank, as soon as I start to move the lid to get in there they scurry back in to hide. The bristles have a habit of either lodging themselves right up into the tail or squeezing through a small gap that leads into the wing area, how do I remove them?
I have previously dropped the plane into a bucket of water in an attempt that they will drop out naturally but after an hour no such luck so back in the 190 it went. The aircraft model FYI is not being transferred into the 340....

Big-B

Apr 22, 2009
Kansas City Missouri
I had a similar problem years ago with bn's and a piece of simulation driftwood. I actually used a piece of wire to hang it from the top crossbrace on the tank. Overnight they came out and went to the bottom. I wouldn't try to remove them by hand, you could injure somebody and stress em. I hope this helps

dan7uk

Apr 12, 2016
Coventry UK
Job done

I had to hacksaw the tail from the model plane, I then tried to irritate the Bristlenose with my powerhead to try and p*** him off to swim out, no dice he said, I ended up dropping the tail section along with BN into my new 340l and hey presto after about 12 hrs he swam out and is now encamped in his new house (large tree root stump)

Cheers