DIY Fry saver Questions

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I am wanting to make my own fry saver and am wanting to build something quiet large. My plans are to have a container and cut one side out and put a sponge in place allowing tank water to come through. It is going to be large enough so i can also run a small sponge filter in it for extra filtration.

I also want to add some of those pipes which remove water from the fry saver back into the tank or vice verser. I understand these are primarily operated by air to undertake the task. Pretty much my own version of a satellite box only bigger

so some questions.

Where do i get the pipes/tubes that can remove the water and whats the best way to set them up?

What type of sponge would be best to use or does it not make much difference?

Anyone have tips for an efficient fry saver that have previously made them? Obviously i dont want to spend a great deal of money otherwise i may aswell just buy a commerical one :)

Breamlegend

Apr 22, 2009
Central Coast NSW Australia

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
You can buy a dual sponge filter with pipe for $6 that will do both. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Biochemical-Dual-Sponge-Filter-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Air-Pump-Free-Shipping-/280736806028
You can make one from hose/ pipe too. You need an air fitting at the bottom of the hose, some flyscreen and a 90 degree fitting for the top to pump the water out.
Even better is to buy a small 200 l/h internal and use that to pump the water out and also filter at the same time.
Can you elaborate on the pump idea? I looked up that sponge filter on ebay and am going to get one :)

MUTLI

Mar 5, 2011
Bundaberg ,qld
I used a food grade storage container, cut out 3 large holes in the sides and bottom and jammed an airstone in the side of it and covered the holes with the finnest fly screen wire i could find and glue it on with aqurium silcone i had laying around. Fits great, from rail to rail(width ways) Tank is 18" wide too. Not great too look at but does the job well