fungus! methylene blue or not?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
nope, no new wood.
lost one of the big paras now too, no signs, was ok this morning, came back from the beach and he was dead.
have changed 30% of the water so will have to just wait now

scottie73

Apr 21, 2009
hampshire england
i know u don't do small tanks,so im guessing its a large tank..but i would be considering a complete strip and restart of the tank...its gonna be the only way to ensure there is nothing nasty lurking in there..imo that is..i am totally gutted for you bud

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
he was in there for less than 2 days:(
it was when i was looking for him that i noticed the really bad L200, then i treated with meth blue.
i have 2 L075, 2 L065 and the 330 left.

i've so far lost 1x 8" L075, 6x L200 from 4 to 6" and the 8" L024, no more losses for 30hrs now so am starting to feel a little more hopeful

indigoj

May 3, 2009
Bury, Lancs
Oh no, so sorry for your losses. :rip: :(

Hope you're at the end of it.

It sounds like columnaris rather than fungus, often accompanies by septacaemia/internal infection. It can wipe out a tank so fast. Can lie dormant for ages too until something triggers it - stress, temp change etc. I just lost a 5" Oscar within 24 hours to it following his move from grow out tank to 6ft tank.

Treatment I've used is a course of Myxazin followed by a course of Interpet anti internal bacteria.

Antibiotics are recommended but not so easy to get hold of here in the UK.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
fairly sure it wasn't columnaris, all seem to be much better now, although i think i'm left with an internal parasite issue now (stringy white poo from somewhere), i'm going to treat for this next week, then everything should be back to normal, touch wood