velvet, whitespot or bacterial.

hooked_zeus

May 3, 2009
Townsville, Qld, Oz
I have these on ones of my fish and a little bit on the 2nd fish,, one looks like velvet but the other looks like whitespot. Or is it not any of these 2 and could it be a bacterial.

But anyway i was late for work and couldn't get enough time to get another pic of the other fish.

I have used waterlife protozin to treat, is there anything else i can do though.

Cheers

hooked_zeus

May 3, 2009
Townsville, Qld, Oz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah i'm fairly certain it's not whitespot. As if it was whitespot it would be on their guts rite, and it isn't.

I'm leaning towards velvet disease and that can also turn into a bacterial infection aswell, explaining the eroded thins.

I work at a lfs and my boss thinks it is velvet disease with the start of a bacterial infection. He seems to think the heat will knock the velvet on the head and the protozin will get the bacteria off. I could easily cure it if it wasn't a pleco but because they are they can't accept most medications which sux.

Fingers crossed it works. i hope so because at $550 each i will be

anyone know if it could be a complete bacterial infection and not velvet, as i know bacterial infection can get worse if the heat is up. My temperature is at 31.

i will take anything into account if someone can help me.

Cheers
Aiden

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Protozin should sort out both velvet and whitespot.
I'm still in the middle or sorting my L129 out that suffered a temp crash due to the heater accidentallly being switched off, they looked exactly the same as in your pic, they were treated with protozin and have now finished the course, the spots have gone but they are still under the weather, I'm hoping someone else can offer some more advice as I'll benefit from it too.

Cheers
Gemma

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Aiden, have they been flashing?

Def looks like a parasite, the bacterial infection could be the by product of the stress and the fact the fish are fighting against the parasite.

I'd be more inclined to go with ich

Protozin has formaldehyde in it doesn't it?
If so it should help with a bacterial infection.

velvet usually looks like a film thats gold/rust coloured, can be quite difficult to see but shining a torch on the fish in the dark makes it more noticeable

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Protozin should sort out both velvet and whitespot.
I'm still in the middle or sorting my L129 out that suffered a temp crash due to the heater accidentallly being switched off, they looked exactly the same as in your pic, they were treated with protozin and have now finished the course, the spots have gone but they are still under the weather, I'm hoping someone else can offer some more advice as I'll benefit from it too.

Cheers
Gemma

How are the water parameters doing?
Are they eating ok?
How long ago did the spots go and how long after the last spot went did you stop treating?
How have you removed the med from tank?

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
How are the water parameters doing?
Are they eating ok?
How long ago did the spots go and how long after the last spot went did you stop treating?
How have you removed the med from tank?
I tested the tank yesterday, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 but nitrate was a bit high at around 40 for some reason so I've done another waterchange. I have seen them feeding but it's obvious they've lost a little weight, it's just a good job that they were so fat before the problems started. The last day of treatment was saturday but the spots had all gone a couple of days before this. There won't be any meds left in the tank as 80% of the water was changed with water from other tanks and fresh water. A couple are still out of their caves and breathing a little fast and are looking a bit dull. I'm starting to think I should put some anti-bacterial in, I have melafix, esha 2000 or interpet no9 to hand. the tank is 80ltrs, 27 C and powered by a fluval 4 so water movement and aeration is pretty fierce. Also the tank is bare with bog wood and pleanty of caves as decor for ease of cleaning.

Sorry for hijacking your post Aiden

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I would definitely keep an eye on the breathing, mainly because ich can hide pretty well in the gills and the last thing you need is a relapse.
Protozin is a very good med but it can be quite harsh on fish which could partly explain their behaviour now.
If you are going to add something bacterial, maybe its worth trying primafix and melafix rather than one of the other two as they are a lot gentler on fish but obviously not as effective, whatever you try make sure to add plenty of extra aeration.

Are they pooping ok?

ill have a look at this thread see if i can split it somehow lol.

hooked_zeus

May 3, 2009
Townsville, Qld, Oz
hi again

Thanks for the reply, well i lost one of the fish over night, very sad day for me, i really liked these fish. And at $550 each i don't think i'll see them in one of my tanks for a while now.

I'm not to sure what's in waterlife products as i did a search on google and i couldn't find any ingredients for them. neither on the bottle.

There is a slight tinge of gold though so it's possible it's velvet.

If by chance it is whitespot though, is it likely to cure the fish with the same treatment i'm using.

Cheers

Aiden

BTW gemma don't sweat it we can both learn from this thread, it doesn't bother me the slightest.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
yep protozin will do both velvet and ich, make sure you add loads of extra air preferably by agitating the surface. Formalin removes oxygen from the water plus you have raised the temp.

hooked_zeus

May 3, 2009
Townsville, Qld, Oz
k then cool. well i think i have saved 2 of them but i lost 1 of them aswell. hopefully i have a pair left.

on the bottle of protozin it says to treat on days 1, 2, 3 and a sixth day for a prevention dose, but do you think it would harm the fish if i dose on day 4 and 5 just to be sure i have gotten rid of it. the fish them selves are still very slow but have not broken out with spots.

How are yours gemma
Cheers
Aiden