Not Happy

johnny70

Technical Support Team
Need some advice, as I'm getting really pissed off!

Lost my L330:rip: today got him 4/5 months ago he was tiny about 1" he was just on 2" when I pulled his body He's he 3rd Royal I have lost in 2 different tanks, levels are what I normally have ph 6.8 temp 25ºc Nitrates 5-10, ammonia and nitrite 0, I'm so anal about my water its unreal and I just don't get why the losses. All the Royals were under 3" could it just be one of them things? I have the 2 bigger ones 1 for a year or more and my L27 for a few months.

He was feeding well, lots of veg and algae wafers, I sure he ate some prawn and mussel too when he could. Belly was still nice and round, no physical marks on him so I don't think the bigger Royal got at him:dk::dk:

At my wits end:(, I know I have lots of tanks with lots of stock but recently been having a nightmare with losses!

Any thoughts

Cheers,
JOHNNY

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
how often was he getting prawns and mussels?, too much meat protein can cause them real problems:(
i'm gutted for you mate, i know they are your pride and joy

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
If he got any it was once a week, I feed the prawn and mussels for the others, I never saw him eat any but you never know
Something else to consider is that algae wafers also can have quite high protein content.

They are/were wood munching too?

What type of wood and where from?

Sorry about losing them, it's def not nice.

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
Hikari wafers first ingredient is fish meal. If you can find Wardley's Algae discs, use them. They are completely vegetarian.

Hikari algae wafers: Ingredients
Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Starch, Seaweed Meal, Fish Oil, Krill Meal, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Enzyme, Spirulina, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic, DL-Methionine, Astaxanthin, Fish Oil, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Inositol, Sodium Monohydrogen Phosphate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Aluminum Hydroxide.

Wardley Premium Algae Discs
Enhance the brilliant colors of your herbivorous fish with Wardley's Premium Algae Discs. These all vegetable discs feature spirulina as the main ingredient. This blue green algae naturally enriches the vibrant colors of your algae-eating and bottom feeding fish, such as plecostomuses, silver dollars, pacus, and some cichlid species.
Fortified with vitamin C for increased disease resistance and rapid tissue repair.

(These are from websites, and I didn't save the URLs, sorry)

HTH!

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Bloody hell almost a 3rd of the price of Hikari :blink:
Ordered mine :clap::clap:
And without hi-jacking this thread too much, Very sorry for your continued losses Johnny, i haven't been keeping Panaques too long so can't offer any advice but i hope you get over this and continue to keep these beautiful Plecos

johnny70

Technical Support Team
weird thing is the other 2 bigger one 4" L190 and 7" l27 are doing fine and they do eat more of the wafers!, I will be ordering some of the others ASAP, I guess I should have looked at the ingredients, the Royal on the front packet lulled me into a false sense of security.

Anyone else have difficulty with small Panaques???

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
I must admit i myself tend to look at the picture of the fish on the front as i find a lot of the writing too small for me to read properly and to be honest if its not suitable for a type of plec then really the picture shouldnt be used ( my beef with manufactureres) it does lull you into thinking that product is suitable and i do rely on that.

Sorry i cant be any real help.

Princess x

May 12, 2009
Dorset
Shocking!!

Hikari wafers first ingredient is fish meal. If you can find Wardley's Algae discs, use them. They are completely vegetarian.

Hikari algae wafers: Ingredients
Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Starch, Seaweed Meal, Fish Oil, Krill Meal, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Enzyme, Spirulina, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic, DL-Methionine, Astaxanthin, Fish Oil, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Inositol, Sodium Monohydrogen Phosphate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Aluminum Hydroxide.

Wardley Premium Algae Discs
Enhance the brilliant colors of your herbivorous fish with Wardley's Premium Algae Discs. These all vegetable discs feature spirulina as the main ingredient. This blue green algae naturally enriches the vibrant colors of your algae-eating and bottom feeding fish, such as plecostomuses, silver dollars, pacus, and some cichlid species.
Fortified with vitamin C for increased disease resistance and rapid tissue repair.

(These are from websites, and I didn't save the URLs, sorry)

HTH!
totally shocked!! We always presume that when we are buying these algae wafers that its just that "safe" this thread has opened my eyes i'm deeply sorry for your losses Johnny i know how much you love them too, :( i'm joining the ranks of ordering the Wardley ones too. I'm sure this has opened all our eyes. :eek:hmy: pity it was at your expense. :~(

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
And then theres wheat, monosodium glutamate, yeast. Fish will just end up like us suffering from intolerances and allergies.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
thank you all for the kind word:thumbup:

If his death has highlighted this issue with Hikari wafers then at least it wasn't for nothing:yes:
good luck with the new wafers, if you have any more problems, you could always feed them veggies and obviously wood and occasionally offer something with higher protein. Knock the wafers on the head completely.

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hi :hi:
sorry to hear about your lost royals I've lost 1 in the past to whitespot so know how you feel.
I do think that its a water issue rather than food as I think that diet issues would happen over a longer time than a few months.
I agree completely with everyone tho that Royals should not be fed protien rich foods
Do you use tapwater or filtered (eg R/O) ?
We changed to R/O over 3 years ago as we kept having unexplained losses and was told that our local water quality is not very good for fishkeeping.
Pete