white spot/ q tank question

bumblebee

May 5, 2009
Queensland Australia
hi all i sold some L333s to a mate 2 weeks ago when i went over there today they have white spot my question is i set up a q tank and i have put water out of the main tank where the 333s came from and put filter media out off the filter into the q tank filter will this be all right
set the temp to 30d
heaps of oxgen
and used ickaway for the treament
thanks bb

Last edited:

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
Hiya BB.

that is a quick solution if you have no qt setup and need one in an emergency. I know i'm guilty of doing the same thing. It should be fine depending on the amount of filter media exchanged and water. You'll still have to monitor the parameters just incase it does 'cycle', you wouldn't want an ammonia spike as well. But i've never had probs doing that.

Great to hear you have heaps of aeration, you need to add as much as you can when treating with meds and having high temps.

Ickaway works well when i've used it, and better at temps over 27 so 30 should be good for them all.

let us know how you get on, and hopefully someone else will have something to add.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
I maintain my tanks at 30-33.
What your doing sounds as best you can atm, make sure to syphon the bottom constantly adding water from your original tank, and minimise stress as much as possible.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I maintain my tanks at 30-33.
What your doing sounds as best you can atm, make sure to syphon the bottom constantly adding water from your original tank, and minimise stress as much as possible.
Personally I'd avoid doing this as you may well be continually introduicng ich back into the qt tank. Actually at this point if there are still fish in the original tank the L333 had been housed in I'd watch closely but handle the tank as if it already has ich as once the spots show on the fish there probably is already additional parasites elsewhere in the tank.

EDIT: Also, there is very little nitrifying bacteria in aquarium water so there is no reason (as long as you don't buffer the tank water with chemicals or something) that you can't use tap water for the makeup water.