different sized corydoras

-simon-

Feb 2, 2012
Tasmania
I have been keeping corydoras for a while but have never really focused on them, I got 3 bronze corries before for my discus tank and I was reading some info on sexing, and two are super fat which I assumed they just loved food too much and their heads are arched up slightly, but when I thought about it the other one has grown but only half the size of the other fat buggers and its head is aiming up, so it suddenly dawned on me that maybe one is a male and the other two are females, I also went and got two julii corries today, they are in a heavily planted discus tank by the way.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hiya, you are probably right about the sex of them. You may want to get the id of the Julii confirmed as they are fairly difficult to get hold of and are very often mislabelled.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
I believe that the Julii are not so rare in Australia as we import most from breeders in Asia
But yes iv heard people Miss label them

Congrats on your Cory
Cory are enthusiastic fish non stop in good conditions

-simon-

Feb 2, 2012
Tasmania
I know that they are julii and no they are not that rare although I have only seen them in one pet shop but they normally stock about 4 at a time with a mixed bunch of corries in a large discus display tank.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
What Doodles means by they are rare is that most are misidentified. Most of the corys sold as Julii in the pet trade are actually trilineatus as they are extremely similar. As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Braddo

Apr 29, 2010
Cooroy, Qld
The Juli's in Australia are infact trillineatus. Especially if they are imported out of asia. I have them here and can 100% accurately say they are trillineatus. Yes there are heaps of them but not the true Juli
Sorry guys.