tank needs more fish

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
got a 54g trigon/corner tank . I am looking for a few more colorful fish ,but no chiclids, just want friendly buddies . In a week i will be gettin an L264 and want some dither fish to add.

fish in tank now: 4 bosemani dwarf rainbows-2 male,3 female
7 rummynose tetra
1 praecox rainbow juvie (the store ran out after i lost 2)
1 female farlowella

filters: 2 ac70's & 1 hydra-sponge filter
black gravel substrate
huge piece of wood
temp 79d
ph 7.8
wc's -10% daily
will add 2 air stones before arrival of L264 Sultan

I was considering torpedo/roseline barbs -group of 5
OR more praecox rainbows
OR any other suggestions ? I am leaning toward the torpedo/roseline barbs as they are colorful and friendly-no nipping . Anyone want to put their 2 cents in and recommend anything ? thanks ,

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
torpedos get very large, but are nice fish and as far as I know will also eat fry. I would add a group of 15 cardinal tetras and increase the rummy nose to 15 as well. They make a stunning combo, you would love it. cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi jk, thanks for replying, but i kinda want somethin a bit more ''showy'' for the main tank. I know a school of cardinals would look nice, but they are just too small for what i am envisioning. I know the torpedo barbs get big , but gosh they are so pretty ! Well perhaps they get too big for my tank , so I am still on the lookout for something in between , size-wise. Basically I am looking for color and friendly.

Any other ideas please ? thanks

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi jk, i checked the congo tetra but their ph is way to low for my tank. I googled the cardinals schooling --not bad lookiing but would need many. I read the torpedo/roseamali barb get 4 1/2 '' , so a group of 5 might be nice and they have the colors to be showy. hummm..... not sure but going to store this week to choose something :dk: will put in the q-tank so that limits how many i can buy at a time of any fish.

I did like the cardinals schooling , but gee they are small , so now i am on the fence . I don't want to freak out the sultan with anything too big :eek:hmy:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
trust me, cardinals or rummy nose. I must say I have these in my 6ft tank as schooling fish and they are great. they are small but they grow after a while. It is hard, because as soon as I walk into my LFS I see all of the other types etc and get confused, however I am a person that doesn't like 10-20 types of tetras, but prefer 2-4 groups of large schools of just one or 2 types. so each to their own and that makes it also hard for you. good luck cheers :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi jk, thanks for the response. I just happened to google the torpedo/roseline barbs and in every video they stay close to the bottom---NOT what i am looking for at all. I arleady have 7 rummynose tetra that never leave the bottom of the tank so i am reconsidering your advice on more rummynose and a larger school of cardinals. I still want to build up mu number of praecox dwarf rainbows by adding a few males and another female, however I did like the videos of the cardinals schooling and noticed in one video the rummynose joined in . I think the larger bosemani riule the roost which keeps the rummies down low.....perhaps more and a nice group of cardinals will change that . It is hard to tell any fishes' true behavior in the strore tanks as they are in the tanks with their own kind and everyone seems mellow. Then we get them home and they are sometimes psycho-note my experience with zebra danios ---man , they wre making ME dizzy , and upsetting the residents. The cardinals were schooling slower , more graceful so that seems like a good fit. thanks again for your advice.