Apistogramma sp.Neon Head.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Hi :hi:
I wanted to show you all my new Apistogramma sp.Neon Head..
Has anyone kept one of these before, This is my first, so far he is happy, following my blue ram pair like a puppy lol...

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Last edited:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Thanks Guys..:D
I think it's one of these, Apisto Blue Head, Apistogramma resticulosa..also known a Steel Head, Or Neon Head..

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Looks like a steel blue, I could be wrong.
Very smart, and definitely a male Apistogramma "Steel-Blue", no-one knows quite what they are, but if you can find a female they will breed true successfully. Word of warning is that they are quite aggressive.

They were my first Apisto's, I bought a fairly expensive pair of "Apistogramma borellii", before finding out that they were 2 male "Steel-blue". The females weren't available then, but they are now.

Some details here:
<http://dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_sp_Steel_blue.php>

When I wrote the "Guide to Sexing" I'd never seen a female, and actually all of the pictures are of males.

cheers Darrel

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
very nice moo congrats. If your Rams are fine in ram manor, then he will be fine in your tank. Get some cocunuts for caves and he eats anything from brineshrimp to blood worms or live worms from the garden or mosquito larvae from the pond. cheers jk :thumbup:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Thanks Guys.. :thumbup: :clap:

Jan.. He has loads of hiding spots, lol I see him watching me from under a log, poking his head out of a cave lol
He's proving to be quite an interactive fish already, he comes to me when I approach the tank..Love that...He has settled in well..Thanks for the feeding tips..:eek:)

Darrel..He is the only one in the tank, Can't see me getting hold of a female not that I want to spark him up lol. I have bred apistos Cacas before, I wouldn't have a pair in the same tank as my Rammies....I appreciate your advice. :eek:) Thanks
He seem to be behaving himself for now, I think, he thinks, he is a ram, as he follows them about, Just swimming along with them..lol
Any aggression and he is in another tank lol But He seem to be ok..
He's a bit of a poser :whistle:

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Mine were fine with other fish, but I had to re-home the smaller male as the larger one hunted it relentlessly. When I eventually found a female she introduced Camallanus worms and I ended up with euthanasia for both of them, so I never really got to see how they got on as a pair.

cheers Darrel

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Naww that's sad Darrel..
Good news...
I got him a little lady, they been very similar to rams in their behavior prior to mating, He chases her away for a week, then randomly wiggles at her for a zanother week, then they will mate, they are on their second week now, and should be getting jiggy soon, he & she are frequenting a heap of logs n they seem to be looking for a suitable spot...there are plenty of them too...:D keep you posted...

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I got him a little lady, they been very similar to rams in their behavior prior to mating, He chases her away for a week, then randomly wiggles at her for a another week,
Best of luck with them, they are apparently not too demanding to breed, and the fry both come true and are healthy, both of which suggests that they may not be a hybrid at all. I believe they are quite difficult to get in the UK now, which is a shame as they are stunning little fish (as Moo's picture shows).

cheers Darrel

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
hmm they never did, much shimmering going on between them, she sadly got ill and fel foul to it,. He went on for a while and he too met his demise :/