Would like to have a go with really plants.

Jason20679

Mar 26, 2011
Crewe
At the mo i have plastic plants and sand as substrate. Although, in mine and my wifes opinion, my tank looks good i would like real plants.
Would i have to do anything different when plants are planted?
What can i do? and What are good plants to start with?

Thanks

J

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
Imo opinion plants are good what fish do you have in the tank, imo plants can trap and hide inwanted waste that builds up and eventually polutes the water if not throughly cleaned. This is a pain in the bum cause you gotta move all your plants to clean under them etc etc any plants are good but it depends on the inhabitants and water conds.

:clap:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i have Java fern in all of my L tanks or anubias. Both can be attached to rock or wood and must not be planted in the sand. This makes it easier as they get the nutrients from the water and not soil. cheers jk :thumbup:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
i have Java fern in all of my L tanks or anubias. Both can be attached to rock or wood and must not be planted in the sand. This makes it easier as they get the nutrients from the water and not soil. cheers jk :thumbup:
i have javas in my 2 tanks.its one plant the plecs dont eat..

Jason20679

Mar 26, 2011
Crewe
So i can just buy some java fern and anubias and attach it to my existing wood?
How would i do that?
I think i'd prefer to do that rather than dig up the sand and put soil in.

J

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
So i can just buy some java fern and anubias and attach it to my existing wood?
How would i do that?
I think i'd prefer to do that rather than dig up the sand and put soil in.

J
Hi mate, most java and anubias come attached to wood. But if u use ur own wood then black cotton is good. Works in my tanks.When the plants roots take over they will grip the wood and the cotton will just rot away.
I have put some windelov java, I think that's is name , in front of my filter useing cotton to attach it:

Last edited:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Imo opinion plants are good what fish do you have in the tank, imo plants can trap and hide inwanted waste that builds up and eventually polutes the water if not throughly cleaned. This is a pain in the bum cause you gotta move all your plants to clean under them etc etc any plants are good but it depends on the inhabitants and water conds.

:clap:
Im going to disagree with the "plants can trap and hide unwanted waste" comment. In fact i dont think i have ever heard of real plants causing the water to pollute because they have had trapped waste around them, quite the opposite in actual fact as they tend to feed on the nitrates that waste eventually produces. I have certainly never had to move plants to clean under them either.

Im afraid i'll have to disagree with the "any plants are good" comment too. Its true that some plants are very easy to care for, a case of throw em in and leave em to it. Others however, unless you have CO2, extremely bright lighting, dedicated plant substrate and dose ferts regularly are near on impossible to keep let alone have them thrive in your aquarium.

Vallis, Anubias, indian water sprite, some mosses and a host of others are good starter plants. have a look here for some others www.tropica.com

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Ffmrk2 has amazing planted tanks check out his gallery and once you see his photos you'll take his advice! Lol and for my two pence worth- when I had plants they used any waste as nutrientsand never moved them as they took do much root I couldn't anyway! :)
Respect and good luck
Cc