Asterophysus batrachus A.K.A. Gulper Cat

ani-mal-lvr

May 20, 2009
Wisconsin U.S.A.
Got up in the middle of the night to let the dogs out and managed to catch this on camera. I really thought the Dollars were too large diameter wise.
Guess I thought wrong!! :wb:

Comparison shot

There are a few more images in the gallery.

David

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Cool cat! if i had a spare tank big enough i would get one.

Irene; they swell their stomachs with water first, not sure if they dislocate their jaws though, dont think so, just have huge mouths

ani-mal-lvr

May 20, 2009
Wisconsin U.S.A.
Oh no !! :wb:
My Thoughts exactly!!! Even knowing the reputation of them. I still thought the Dollars would be safe.
wow - thats one mean catfish!!! do their jaws open like a snake?
I wouldnt call them mean, just hungry. They do NOT dislocate the jaw, they just have a gaping mouth like a garage door.
Exactly!!!
oops lol, guess they are more than deserving of the name gulper then hey
Yes they truly do live up to the name!
Cool cat! if i had a spare tank big enough i would get one.

Irene; they swell their stomachs with water first, not sure if they dislocate their jaws though, dont think so, just have huge mouths
Thats one of the kewl things about these guyz!!! You do NOT need a huge tank to house them.
F me! im sorry but :lol: it looks like its eaten a wagon wheel!
Not a wheel but close a five inch Silver Dollar!
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

These guyz are very entertaining. My son named them Walter and Mathau!!!
They are currently only about 6 inches total length.

ani-mal-lvr

May 20, 2009
Wisconsin U.S.A.
Great fish! and lucky shot! My neighbor has one in a 75 with no tank mates (he eats everything, including the mag float).
Lol, they are very entertaining cats for sure.
Far out that is unreal.
You want one and you know it!
Haaaaaaaaaaa
If my parents allow me to have another tank, I would definitely get one of those. Coolest cats IMO. <3
Talk nice to them and say Pulllleeeeeeeeeeeeeze.
wow, if only there were some in aus

there more mean than the rtc B-)
I dont think they are mean, just hungry. With a mouth like this they have a LARGE appetite.
There great cats great to watch with a dim light at night as they patrol the tank the only safe tankmate for a gulper is an equal sized one and then BE CAREFUL !
Agreed!! Before I started re-doing the living room floor. Their tank had moonlights on it. Very gracefull considering their odd shape/look.

BombHead666

Apr 21, 2009
Bedale - North Yorkshire
That is a quality set of pictures Dave!:clap:
Have you considered submitting the picture to PlanetCatfish to go with the profile?
Loads of people could learn a valuable lesson from those pics:yes: