Tank stand

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Have got a new tank 270L, came with an mdf stand that isn't the best IMO. Wanting to build a stand for it. Been looking into wood to use for it and lots of different opinions about treated vs untreated. The difference in price is quite a bit from what I've found.
What are peoples opinions on using treated timber (frame only)?
H1 treated has the following treatments to it:
Boron compounds
CCA compounds (copper chromium arsenic)
LOSP (light organic solvent preservative)

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
agree with leisure man, use untreated instead and then make sure you undercoat it with a good undercoat sealer and then paint it. cheers jk :thumbup:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
so far very nice indeed and yes agree with you, you are better to overbuild than underbuild, like they say, better be safe than sorry cheers jk :thumbup:

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Yea wanted to be safe, and also make sure it was strong against warping. Also makes it easier to add on the skin.
But got mitre10 to cut the wood for me, just found out he cut some of it 10mm short. I was going to have 7mm grooved plywood on front and sides so it looks like slats but is a lot cheaper, and then some matai edging that covered the substrate.Would have a couple of mm on each side of the tank before the matai. Now I have to find something else as it will be 6mm to small for the tank now.

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Have finally done some more work on stand. Have been unable to do anything due to damaging my knee playing football. Have added the top, back and inside plywood panels. Now just have to get the grooved pieces for the outer skin layer.
Also decided on a sump filter set up, so have a tank for that and now just need to get the glass for the dividers in it. Sized up the sump in the stand today too.

[ame="http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Peter_Tchernegovski/library/?view=recent&page=1"]Peter_Tchernegovski's Recent Uploads | Photobucket[/ame]