Fry Trap

cugerg

Aug 31, 2010
Australia
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has every made some kind of fry trap to catch the little buggers that have escaped into the main tank? Or even any tips of what i can do. I dont want to strip my whole tank down as its a big job just looking for other ways to catch these fry without doing that.

Cheers Greg

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Depends on what, if any tank mates you have. If its a plec only breeding tank I wouldn't Worry about separating the young unless its a small tank.

cugerg

Aug 31, 2010
Australia
They are L397. The ones i have are a good 3cm just dont need anymore in the tank thats why i want to catch them but i reckon i will have to strip the tank down.

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
depends on what plec is breeding some fish are great parents others are not, may i ask what plec it is that u have bred
it has no bearing on what type of plec it is. Once pleco fry leave the cave, they are on their own.

cugerg, try a 2L coke bottle with some zucchini or algae tabs in the bottom. Just lay it on the bottom of the tank and wait until you have a few in there. Doing it this way you also don't have to remove them from water completely like you would with a net.