L397 and L134 food suggestion

thermalthong

May 29, 2012
Essex
clown,blue,skunk or pakistani loaches have an insatiable appetite for snails, get some of those but if you do, get at least 3 as otherwise they get very lonely.

Jamez

Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
Lately my L397s have gone off their Hikari algae wafers and aren't super keen on any vegies either, just mainly into wood by the looks of it. Do you wreckon this is ok long term?

Cheers, Luke.

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
should be

Lately my L397s have gone off their Hikari algae wafers and aren't super keen on any vegies either, just mainly into wood by the looks of it. Do you wreckon this is ok long term?

Cheers, Luke.
Wood (different varieties) is ok they will also eat some carnivore foods but do this sparingly. I am not that keen on feeding L# veg it can fowl the water and cause bloating (especially in fry) and tablet food usually covers all bases of the L# diet.

I also use plants like thin val amazon sword leaves (expensive and mainly for fry)as a food you could also try growing your own algae. Get a rock or piece of wood put it in a some tank water and expose it to a lot of light either natural or artificial. Sera catfish chips also contain wood and I try to use the hikari and sera in combination. Sera Viformo is also a good food

I hope this helps
Regards

Jamez

Feb 9, 2011
Brisbane, Australia.
Wood (different varieties) is ok they will also eat some carnivore foods but do this sparingly. I am not that keen on feeding L# veg it can fowl the water and cause bloating (especially in fry) and tablet food usually covers all bases of the L# diet.

I also use plants like thin val amazon sword leaves (expensive and mainly for fry)as a food you could also try growing your own algae. Get a rock or piece of wood put it in a some tank water and expose it to a lot of light either natural or artificial. Sera catfish chips also contain wood and I try to use the hikari and sera in combination. Sera Viformo is also a good food

I hope this helps
Regards
Thanks for your reply mate. I might try the algae option as I have some driftwood in a bucket of water outside and there is some algae growing on it.

The problem I'm finding with prepared food is that they aren't too keen on it over the last few weeks. I have tried some hikari, Sera, New Life Spectrum and tetra wafers and they go over to it once I put it in but they don't stick around and eat it, which results in snails finishing it off. Hikari has always been the most successful in the past but doesn't seem to be doing the job lately.

Zuccini used to be popular too (mainly the skin) but they aren't really getting into that anymore either. The water quality is good and stable and the tank gets a change once a week so I don't think that could be the problem, but you never know?