External filter

billyjimbo

Sep 16, 2009
Cheshire
I am setting up a Juwel Vision 260 and will be using an External filter, my question is how do you stop flake food from getting sucked in at feeding time? I have found that Fluval internals get clogged quite quickly so I imagine a powerful external will be worse? I will be putting all my L260 in it plus small community fish eg Neons, Guppies etc.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I think the reason you have trouble with food flakes in the filter is because both the pressure and suction side of the filter are in the same place with an internal filter. The water ends up where it started, carrying the flake food.

If you set up the external to have the pressure and suction pipes on opposite ends of the tank. For example, have the outlet (spray bar, diffusor etc) on the left side pushing water to the right, and place the inlet strainer on the right side of the tank.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
I don't find this a problem at all with externals.

Internals as Matt said are a PITA but not externals.

fwiw I have the intake and spray bar set up on the same side of the tank (actually 2 externals) as it looks better and there is no issue.

billyjimbo

Sep 16, 2009
Cheshire
Thanks for the responses, I have not used an external before so wasn't sure whether it would just suck all the flake in with it being powerful, I use undergravels and sponges on all my breeding tanks, plus a fluval 2+ on 2 of them for a bit of a flow. I will be using an Eheim 2217.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
that is a brialliant choice. The EHEIM2217 is a wonderful workhorse and one of the best filters on the market. They are so powerful that anything sucked into the cannister will soon disperse. Just keep in mind to follow a regular cannister clean routine as well. I clean mine once every 2 months. By cleaning i just mean rinsing. cheers jk :thumbup:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Yep I have a 2217 as well, love it.

Can't remember the last time I cleaned it and the flow is still good :)