l205 eggs

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
I collected a heap of l205 eggs today as they where kicked out of the log. They where orange and translucent I have put them in a tumbler should tumbler be flowing very fast medium or just enough to keep the eggs moving??? Your help will be appreciated.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
well done, i would keep the eggs turning over just at a comfortable pace. I must say I do not have L205, but would think that is best. cheers jk :thumbup:

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I've never used a tumbler but put mine in a fry trap with an airstone movement just enough to make the eggs slightly waft but not bashing them around the trap. You don't want them moving that much that they get damaged but need enough movement to stop fungus etc.

Good luck with them :thumbup:

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
thanks

Thanks for the advice I had them going to quick I think but I have a couple of survivors and I am quietly confident there are more in the caves with the males. This is the third batch off eggs and the first lot that I will get some fry from fingers crossed

Cheers Henk

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Great you have some survive :woohoo: its all a learning curve for the male and for you, hopefully you will have more success with the next lot :thumbup:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well done on the spawning. hope the eggs survive, I also use fry saver rather than tumbler. if you think about how dad cares for them they only get gentle waft of air.

Jul 9, 2009
sunshinecoast
i place the eggs in a net , then i get a bigger net and place it under the first , so fry cant get eaten , and place the nets in front of a water return from the sump , or place a sponge filter under the nets , never had a drama , never used an egg tumbler either , fry hatch then i move them 100% success

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
I used that method for the marbles (net hatching with air stone underneath) with 100% success. I did try it with the L205 eggs but had no luck but the eggs may have sat on the tank bottom for to long. I have heard that cockroaches will crawl in and pull fry and eat all the fry. I will try this method again maybe with a net over top also to stop any hungry critters.

Thanks Henk