Are these L134 a trio?

fishbowl

May 14, 2009
Sydney
I picked up these L134 this week in the hope that they're a trio, and I was wondering if you can help me sex them. I've been told the fish are almost two years old if that helps. Thank you in advance.

Fish one @ 7cm

Fish Two @ 7cm

Fish Three @ 6.5cm

fishbowl

May 14, 2009
Sydney
L134 Fighting

Thanks JK, and axle for your replies, however checked the tank this morning to find Fish one upside down:wb:, almost dead with it's dorsal fin, and tail ripped up, while the bottom half of the body is all bloodied:wb:.
I've moved the fish to a hospital tank, and treated with Pima & Melafix, however it doesn't look like it's going to make it:wb:which is a big blow.

One of the two other fish has taken cave as residence, while the other is staying under a piece of drift wood. Could this be male teritorial behaviour or is it a trapping gone wrong (but I thought they're still a bit young for breeding)?

All assistance will be helpful, as this is a devastating loss:wb:

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
The females will just sit under piece of driftwood or something else and will only venture into the cave when ready to spawn. Then she will disappear again. That is what i have noticed with my fish.

Cheers Henk

fishbowl

May 14, 2009
Sydney
Thanks Brengun, no there were two clay caves, plus a piece of driftwood. I had them in a quarrantine tank till they climatised, and I worked out their gender.
From the photos at the top can anyone shed some light on what the gender mix is?

Last edited:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
The photos are a little dark and slightly blurry. Not much to go on at all. Since none of them seem to be showing any hairy odontodes at all, or the photos are just not good enough, I would say they are still juveniles and just a little bit immature yet to be sexed properly.

They do grow to 10-12cm so imagine them widening up, and lengthening out and not just on the tail. You are looking at 3 to 5cm more to full adult size. Lots of changes coming for them. I would put them away for 6 months and then try sexing them again.