Weird white spot on my sister's pleco...?

Ashira

May 20, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
1. Size of tank? 10 Gallon

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 2.0 (didn't realize it was so high... I checked it every week since we first got the tank with the exception of the past couple weeks. The readings were low and everything else was at 0 so I guess I overlooked it. Not sure why it is so high)
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 0
d. pH, KH and GH? 7.5, 180, 180 (we have very hard water...)
e. Test kit? API 5 in 1 test strips and API 130 Ammonia Test Kit

3. Temperature? Unheated, usually around 78-76 degrees, but could be lower at night, but that's why the light is left on since it does emit a small amount of heat.

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? Tanks have been set up for almost 2 months

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
She has three red platties, two creamsickle platties, two mollies, three catfish (one albino and two julee), and the pleco. I don't know what size they all are, but the creamsickles are pretty small, the mollies are maybe 2in each, the pleco is maybe 3 inches? The pleco, one molly, and one catfish were recently introduced maybe two weeks ago at the same time.

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? The fish were floated, none were placed in quarantine. My sister and I are both new to fish keeping, and no thanks to the knowledge of petsmart employees, are learning a lot of things the hard way...

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? I think she has two Amazon Swords and three White Ribbon somethings?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel bottom
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Some hollow decors, no wood or rocks.

9. a. Filtration? has a filter that came with the tank
b. Heater? no heater, but I think it probably needs one

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? just the lights that came with the tank. Lights are usually off during the day and on at night
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? diffused sunlight during daytime hours, not usually direct

11. a. Water change schedule? Water is changed weekly
b. Volume of water changed? Usually around 2-3 gallons
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Seachem Prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? We just vacuum enough to pick up any waste or old food

12. Foods? Flake fish food for the rest of the fish, sinking shrimp pellets for the catfish, and Algae wafers for the pleco
How often are they fed? Fish are fed twice per day, catfish once at night, and pleco once every other day at night

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Pleco has a white spot on it, it has since changed and looks more like a sore, the middle of the white is now dark...
b. Appearance of poop? Can't tell
c. Appearance of gills? Looks fine

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used? Treated the tank for ich, pleco was covered in white. Treatment seemed to have worked except for the spot. They bought the treatment at Petsmart, not sure what brand or anything

I did two 40% water changes since we noticed the spot three days ago, and have been adding a daily dose of Seachem Prime for the ammonia. I will check the ammonia levels again tomorrow.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Looks like it might be a fungus spot. Take the fish out and daub the spot with Betadine liquid. Blow it dry as you can with your breath for about a minute and return the fish to the tank. It should stop the fungus dead in its tracks.