• No

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Quarantine New fish??

And if no, what are your reasons??

Thought it would be a good idea to raise awareness about the importance of quarantining new fish. There are various reasons why it would be a good idea to quarantine which hopefully will be bought up and discussed in this poll.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
i am very ashamed to say i dont at the moment. my reason is that im only 14, with a 3foot tank upstairs, there is no way the mum and step father will let another tank, that needs more electric, and adds more weight. i will be setting one up soon though, i WILL win the battle! (wven if it means losing the ps2. :D

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
I would have to say yes, especially when I get a group of plecs that I wanna spawn. They go right in their own dedicated tank to start with, and then I watch them from there.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
generally I do, with only a few exceptions. it depends a lot of where the fish has come from. if it is from a shop or similar then its a must. but if from a well known friend and I know the tank and fish are healthy...
sometimes its tricky - eg if a large fish, then maybe i move most of the fish out of the bigger tank and use the big tank like a QT and add a bit of melafix/pimafix if no UV on the tank.

Paul

Oct 3, 2009
Hampshire, England.
Depends where I get them from. I don't buy fish much anymore and when I do it's normally off a very reliable breeder/fish keeper so I know the fish are in perfect health.

Paul

jerry58

May 7, 2009
Uk
Hi
I have never quarantined fish before and probably been very lucky up to recently and had bad case of white spot and the fact I have got more fish around than normally had in the past and this has made me set up a tank for the purpose of quarantining fish when new and when sick.
But the thing is how long do you quarantine fish for,I have heard people have done it for a month and still had problems !.
Maybe worth mentioning how long for,just a thought.

Jerry

Jagtazman

Nov 2, 2009
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
Always without fail, problem I sometimes have is having to move a few fish around to quarantine new fish, had this problem the other week when purchased 2 different types of Bristles and a group of corys all from different sources, teach me for buying too much in the same week.

All worked out in the end :woohoo:

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
I voted Most of the time, simply because my "usual" fish guy quarantines all new stock off the central system for at least 15 days before sale. Any private buys I go by how his/her husbandry looks. Always QT from any LFS I don't know. It's bending the rules a bit but so far it works.:dk:

Steve C

Dec 14, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
whoops ......NO

I just dont have space to have another tank of any size running. I understand the risks involved and if space allowed would definitely have a QT on standby.

GrubbyGirl

Nov 18, 2009
Kent
I have a 40l tank I use for quarantine, and I always quarantine fish bought from lfs. However I tend not to quarantine fish from breeders especially if I collect them myself and see where they come from. So, I voted "most of the time"

816johnv

Jun 30, 2009
Hull UK
I dont i dont have enough tanks :( but if i did i would defenatly Quarantine most of the fish i buy are off well known breeders anyway so are always very healthy

mrRRunner

Oct 2, 2009
Staffordshire UK
Definitely, all the time, every time, Ok if you have the tank/space etc but I suppose it's a bit impractical for some people so it's a gamble one has to take I guess.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
As rule no, if not happy with a fish or the enviroment or the person i might be buying from then i dont buy it. However if a fish is rare enough and worth the risk I will buy it, I've also been known to buy fish in an attempt to bring them back to condition. For example I paid 90.00 for an 8" L273 about 7 months ago the guy was really proud of it claiming his pride and joy - however it was so under weight I thought twice about buying it. I did it ate like a pig for weeks and regained weight well and now lives in luxury in Singapore.

I say no for my personal fish - whenever I consol fish for supply they are always QT'd for me it is a fundamental MUST for all wholesalers and LFS's to prepare the fish and maintain them for sale.