l144 sudden brown spot?

lariosaurus

Apr 1, 2015
usa
Hey so yesterday I looked in the tank and my "l144" suddenly had a small brown spot on its back.

http://s4.postimg.org/v9qq5eugd/IMG_3508.jpg

It appeared very suddenly as it wasn't there the day before. As far as I can tell it's completely flat, with no fuzz or swellings. What do you guys think? Some kind of parasite or sickness? Or just pigment? I can't find anything online that seems to match. He is still acting and eating normally.

This actually happened before about a year ago with the same fish. One day I looked in and he has a small brown dot under his eye. After failing to find anything online I left it alone and over the next few months it faded to almost unnoticeable. But the fact that it happened again has me a bit freaked out.

This is an old picture from the first time. You can see in the previous image that the spot is almost completely gone now (just ignore the algae on my glass :blushing:)

I have read that l144 plecos can have "birthmarks", is this the same thing? He was defiantly not born with it. :dk: Has this happened with anyone else? Just thought I should get a second opinion.

Last edited:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
occasionally albino or lemon bristlenose (falsely called L144) get brown or black spot(s)... its usually caused from fighting and it doesnt effect the fish in the long term... spot may disappear over time or it may stay...

that fish with brown spots doesnt breed more fish with brown spots so dont worry if you have a beaten up looking female breeding as it doesnt pass onto the fry... only downside is the appearance of the fish :thumbup: