Hyperactive L244s - is there a problem?

Mol_PMB

Mar 26, 2014
Manchester
I have 2 L244 plecs, which I have kept for about 8 months. One is probably about a year old and about 3" long, the other is a little bigger. I think they are both males.

They live in a 4' 240 litre tank with a community of other Rio Negro fish (Rummy-noses, Cories, Hatchets, dwarf cichlids). There are plenty of caves, bogwood, plants etc. Water parameters are Temp 25-26C, pH 6.2, KH 0.5, TDS ~100, NO3 ~40 (usually a bit lower but I added ferts last night) and obviously zero ammonia and nitrites.
I did a water-change last night (usual weekly 30%).

Normally the L244s each inhabit one end of the tank, and I get the odd glimpse of them each day. Sometimes they are a bit more active and occasionally they meet and have a little chase.

Today they are being hyperactive. Both of them are at one end of the tank, playing around on the glass and the bogwood. They've been at it for about 3 hours at least. It all looks entirely friendly (in the past in a smaller tank I saw a bit of aggressive chasing and nipping, but this is just like play). It's almost the pleco equivalent of cories 'dancing'. They jockey for position on the glass or the wood, rest alongside each other for a moment, then have another little dance around.

I've never seen them so active and in the open consistently.

However, I'm not usually at home in the morning after a water-change, so this might happen more regularly. It's certainly not a daily occurrence.

I hope there's nothing amiss. It's always worrying when I see a different behaviour to normal.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers,
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
As long as they aren't darting up and down the glass constantly which could mean lack of oxygen, faulty heater, an overdose on prime or fertilisers or bad water
Maybe do another 30% change to be on the safe side

Mol_PMB

Mar 26, 2014
Manchester
The tank is quite well oxygenated with spray bars and airstones. I think my Prime doses are correct and temps are right. Water tests suggest the critical Ammonia/nitrite are zero but I'll do another change tomorrow just in case the nitrates are too high after adding ferts.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Yeah good idea. I've seen my fish go crazy after adding fertilizer and I have even killed fish with it, especially when I kept cichlids. Electric blues died within seconds!

Mol_PMB

Mar 26, 2014
Manchester
This morning, at first glance everything is back to normal, one L244 at each end of the tank, resting but in view.
BUT... On closer inspection they have swapped ends.
I wonder - a couple of weeks ago I adjusted the spraybar which has tended to redistribute the floating plants so that one end of the tank is a bit brighter than it was. And the other end of the tank near a window is darker now it's wintertime. Maybe the 'preferred' territory is the one at the gloomier end. That's the end they were playing at yesterday.
So the bigger fish may have moved house, and sent the smaller fish to the other brighter end of the tank.
I'll keep an eye on them :)