Hello

New Keeper

Oct 26, 2010
Gloucestershire
Hi All

I am an absolute beginner to fish keeping and I am currently cycling a 60 litre tank. Thankfully I found practical fishkeeping before I started to buy any fish, so I'm trying to get as much knowledge before I do start to buy :). I am really after some advice about keeping a pleco, I was advised by a shop yesterday that I would be able to keep a pekoltia in my tank, I am getting mixed advise from the practical fishkeeping site and have been pointed to this forum by a couple of people. So i'm here to ask peoples opinions, do you think my tank is too small, do you think I need more experience before owning a pleco, do I need to have 2 together?

My tank is a Juwel 600.

Thanks for any help.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
you should cycle the tank for at least 4weeks. then introduce top and middle dwellers slowly and at the end the peck. cheers jk oh and welcome to the forum

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
hello and welcome, yes wait until tank is at least 6-8 weeks before adding plec.
this is only a 60 litre tank so I would only add one or two very small plecs, that grow to say 3 inch max not 5 inch like many peckolitia so choose carefully.

graham26

Jul 15, 2009
Berkshire
Hi & welcome to the forum why not try a bristlenose good algae eaters & very hardy also quite a few colour variations like the L144 or super reds all in all a good starter plec

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
welcome ,and you are doing things right, asking questions, wish I did in the beginning...learned the hard way and so did my fish...advice : be careful of the advice you get from LFS , but yes, usually good advice from aquarium stores and the forums here... good luck with whatever you choose, just doing it the right way,as the members have advised, is the way to go ...happy fish, happy fish keeper :yes:

Georgie

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Hmmm which one? Probably one of the nicest looking would be the L134 compta.
They are omnivores and can eat pretty much whatever the other community fish eat.
Another small one is not a peckoltia ate all its a hypanicistrus and is black with white spots. It is the orinoco angel or L201.
Not in Australia but you might be able to get it where you live is the Hypancistrus L174, its small too.