Go Back   plecoplanet Forums > Off Topic & International Forums > International Forums > Australia
Plecoplanet on Facebook

Notices

Old 28-08-13, 02:42
Support Team

YAL05T's Flag is: Australia
Fishkeeping Experience: Master
Breeding Experience: Master
Gallery: 1
Helpful Posts
YAL05T is on a distinguished road
Economic Fish rooms.

A hoy hoy ladies and gents of this wide brown land. I have been working on a few ideas to make fish rooms or even tanks as energy efficient as possible.

I thought maybe a sticky thread with various methods and even product reviews.

In the past I have used cool room panels to line garages, styrofoam on tanks and also in garages to reduce heat loss. Changed lights to LED, switched all my canisters and air pumps to eheim. I have run my sumps on timers, and had sponge filters in the tanks.

I figured the Aussie section would be the best place for this thread as products would need to be available here and to keep the terminology understandable.

I hope to hear from others who have found ways to combat the ever rising cost of keeping aquariums.

Cheers,
B.
"Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

When folks tell me they have L cats with African cichlids, I just remind them that they could live in a port-a-loo, but they would not be happy. Capisce?
Old 28-08-13, 08:26
Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND

bigbird's Flag is: Australia
Fishkeeping Experience: Advanced
Breeding Experience: Intermediate
Gallery: 117
Helpful Posts
Awards Photo
bigbird is on a distinguished road
What i did on all tanks in my tank room, is glue styrophome on all four side, ie bottom, left and right side and back. I find this reduces heat loss and thus savings in electric bills a little bit. Also having 2 heaters per tank also saves on electric costs with heating as it spreads the workload of the heaters. That is all i have so fa cheers jk

Greatings from Downunder Sydney- :D I am not perfect, so I say it how I see it :-/ Smile and enjoy Life
Did you find this post helpful?
YAL05Tthanked for this post
Old 28-08-13, 10:53
Support Team

Helpful Posts
Cheers mate, I have never thought of two heaters to spread the love. A few guys on the cichlid forums heat the entire room. Some use oil heaters, others use reverse cycle.
"Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

When folks tell me they have L cats with African cichlids, I just remind them that they could live in a port-a-loo, but they would not be happy. Capisce?
Old 29-08-13, 00:26
Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND

bigbird's Flag is: Australia
Gallery: 117
Helpful Posts
Awards Photo
bigbird is on a distinguished road
using two heaters per tank, means you caan control and set each tanks own temperature are some Ls prefer hotter C than others. If you heat the room, then you are set at one temp for al tanks. So I would as stated have 2 heaters per tank. cheers jk

Greatings from Downunder Sydney- :D I am not perfect, so I say it how I see it :-/ Smile and enjoy Life
Old 29-08-13, 01:09

beencees's Flag is: Australia
Gallery: 0
Helpful Posts
beencees is on a distinguished road
When i set up my system energy efficiency was the main reason i did so as it let me run up to 6 tanks (although i only have 4 running on it which comes to 900l) with just the one 5000l/h 40watt pump and one 300w heater. This was a huge saving from having so many tanks running independantly.
Although it's not so cold here in Brisbane in winter it still gets down to 6C so i wanted to minimise heat loss as much as possible. I had insulating foam panels that i stuck to the back and, where practical, sides of the tanks and of course polystyrene underneath them. I also place the foam panels over the tops of the tanks overnight my logic being that heat rises and the tops of tanks are usually left uncovered so it seemed like an obvious thing to do to help retain heat. They just sit loose on top so in the morning i just take them off.
The other thing i did was wrap all the plumbing with a thin foam sheeting like packaging stuff. I have access to an abundance of this so when i was setting up i figured i may as well wrap the pipes. Again, my logic in this was that moving water will lose it's temp faster than stationary water (think wind chill factor).
Combined these little things seem to have made a huge difference. The single Jager heater doesn't appear to turn on and off any more frequently than those in the tanks i have set up singly and my power bills are lower than they were 12 months ago despite running 3 extra tanks.
Obviously i still have tanks that run independantly to meet the specific requirments of any fish that the systems conditions are not suited to but many L's are happy with similar water parameters and all mine will happily breed in the system.

Last edited by beencees; 29-08-13 at 01:12.
Did you find this post helpful?
Old 29-08-13, 12:59
Support Team

Helpful Posts
I have looked at that black insulation tubular foam, I have a few good mates that are plumbers and they use it on outside pipe work to prevent freezing. I guess it stands to reason that it would help maintain the temps inside too.

Old 30-08-13, 01:34
Support Team

Brengun's Flag is: Australia
Fishkeeping Experience: Intermediate
Gallery: 161
Helpful Posts
Awards Reputable TraderArticlesBreeding LogsPhotoPOTM Winner
Brengun is on a distinguished road
New product set to take the market by storm. I will be insulating my new fish room with it when I finally move to the new address.
http://www.naturalinsulation.com.au/Foilboard.aspx

Unless you want to grow Purdy plants plecos don't really care much for strong lighting. My tanks have lights but they only get turned on while I do water changes. If I am in the fish room its lit with 4 x 4ft led tubes. You just take out the starter switch which uses 12watts to turn a normal fluro on as the led half the wattage of a normal one doesn't need a starter.
If I am not in the fish room it stays in darkness as I have the windows covered in foam insulation.

I changed all my filters to eheim canisters, eheim pickup internals and 6watt power heads. Each tank has a jager heater which is wattage calculated according to the filled volume of water. Collectively they end up warming the whole room which gives me a little safety should one heater fail. The fish get chilly but don't freeze.

I also run 100Watt air pump to sponge filters for every foot length of tank. If the power goes off, I use an inverter and a car battery to run the air pump, keeping air going to every tank and fry saver.

I am currently running 21 tanks, all 4fts with a couple of 3fts.

I have solar power 4.2kw which in winter supports all the power I use during the day. In summer with longer days I get a little rebate back. Even though I use less power than the last couple of years the cost of it has risen astronomically and my winter bill this year, including hot water and gst was $1,600.
Old 30-08-13, 11:05
Support Team

Helpful Posts
That's an ouch bill! That product looks pretty damn good. Nice and light weight too. I have helped a few mates do pink batts in the walls of fish rooms, not heavy but talk about itch!

Old 31-08-13, 00:31
Support Team

Brengun's Flag is: Australia
Fishkeeping Experience: Intermediate
Gallery: 161
Helpful Posts
Awards Reputable TraderArticlesBreeding LogsPhotoPOTM Winner
Brengun is on a distinguished road
Apparently Bunnings has been buying it in bulk from that link so keep an eye out there.
Link price I got was 15mm thick, 2400 x 1200mm, $29.17 plus gst which is cheaper than some places sell just plain foam sheets.