How long do amano shrimps live for

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hi all I put 5 amano shrimps in our main tank a good 4 years ago and had had them a while before then in a planted tank
They are still going strong :clap:
They are in a large tank so I dont see them very often but I counted 5 yesterday:)
would they be the same ones that I put in or would they have bred ?
I have seen them at least attempting to breed, with a pregnant female darting about the tank
I always thought that the baby shrimps needed brackish water to grow.

They breed lower down the river and the shrimps move back up the river when they are mature
thanks
Pete

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
They would be the same ones, Ive got two that are 5+ years old, not bad for shrimp.

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Thanks doodles and BB, great link BB :)
Looks like mine are the origanal ones as they are in soft water so I doubt if they have bred
Great little shrimps tho will have to get some more
I was worried that the plecs would eat them as I have 2 Leporacanthicus plecs but they have been fine the plecs dont bother them:clap:
Pete

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
An update , counted 6 the other day so still going strong a year since I posted the original question
I wish I could remember when I got them they must be at least 5 years old :)

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
They're still going strong cant believe it but they must be the same ones as I said before my water is too soft for them to breed

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hello I've just found the forum again I thought that it had folded glad that it's still going strong
The amano shrimps are still alive and well
Judging from my original post the amanos must be 8 years old !

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hi really sorry I missed this post
I haven't got any other shrimp my other tank has barbs so shrimps would not be a good idea
I noticed today that the amano shrimps are still alive which is amazing
The tank is doing really well seems to be stable water quality wise I haven't put anything new in for a while I wanted to leave growing room for the plecos which are getting quite large now

Last edited: