Water test kits.

Doodle

May 4, 2009
Bracknell
Afternoon,

Ive search on this forum but cannot find the answer/answers.

Im looking to purchase a good water test kit (preferably all in a box) for use on mainly the new marine tank but obviously compatible with the tropical. maybe that should read the other way around!

Anyway what brand kit do you guys use and find easy to use?

Do you use the liquid type, paper 'dipsticks', tablets?

Ive seen the JBL boxset at a price, but then they split it into marine and tropical. Ive seen just marine ones but i would like to have a one for all.

Or do i just make up a set of certain tests that are required? Then the question is what ones a best?

At the moment the marine is not functional but will be soon and it will be mainly a predator tank. Hardly any corals.

thanks in advance

Paul

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I use API test kits. I've got the freshwater master kit I think. They don't hae one single complete test kit though. The problem is, that not many need every kit & test kits have a limited life. Therefore, it can be quite pricy to buy everything if you won't need or use them all. Liquid test kits are the most reliable & easy to use of the strip/liquid/powder types. Electronic testers are an option that will last nearly forever but even they need calibration solutions.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
API are the current test kits I am using
But I have a few JBL and find them easy to use.
As API only do a very limited range of test kits I brought a few JBL test kits, Mainly for TDO and things I am delighted with the quality and ease of use

I am thinking of using JBL when I replace the API kits this year.

Regards Bob

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I wouldn't get a test kit at all. I'd buy a reasonably good conductivity meter (don't know if SmithRC has any left?).
cheers Darrel