brown spots/patchs

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi all,ive just finished trimming my Microsorium Pteropus Trident.
the leaves ive trimed have brown patchs and some brown spots on them:

the leaves,if left,go complety brown and fall off the plant.
i dose easylife profito once a week,and easy carbo every other day at less than recomended leavels.

the gap in the center is where all the dead/dieing leaves came from.
the plant is growing and has some babys on it,just dont won,t the rest of the leaves to die off.
any ideas?

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Dave there isn't anything wrong with the plant, the leaves are just old. If you look at the picture you can see the dead leaves have all come from the the centre of the plant, these are the oldest leaves. The newest leaves are at the edge, at the growing ends of the rhizomes.

The easiest thing to do would be to snip off all the rhizomes at the start of the dead zone, discard the dead centre and then re-attach the plant (I use a stapler or super-glue).

By the look of it you could divide that plant into 4 or 5 reasonably big plants.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
not selling yet darrel,but might have to at some point.the plant is growing well after its trim,lots off
little baby plants are growing to.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
well a big trim today as most off the "Trident" has gone brown now...:cry:
its odd cos 2 leaves of the jave fern has started showing the same sort off brown marks.(3rd pic down in the middle)heres some pics:
before trim,2 weeks ago:

after trim.there is new growth tho:

full tank shot after trim:

Last edited:

hinchles

Feb 13, 2012
UK
you could try upping your fert dosing (not easy carbo dosing but pure ferts) I find that even under low light my ferns go browny black if I don't keep quite a high level of ferts in the water (note this excludes any old age die back as dw already pointed out)

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Sorry for the lack of reply, the answer is I don't have an answer. I'd probably see what happens.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a fertiliser issue, and Java Fern gets very little wrong with it, it is unlikely to be a disease. If you'd spilled Easy carbo or Excel on it? that might be a possibility.

It could be leaf scorch, if you have new lighting? as it does look very bright where the "bald" plant bit is in the photo. I usually just let a few more floater grow if the light becomes brighter.

Sorry that isn't much help.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Well the plant is growing back nicely now:

But I am seeing some BBA now, well I think this is BBA:

I'll stop all ferts for 2 weeks to see if it clears up.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Well the plant is growing back nicely now:
Good, it is still a bit strange why they dies off.
But I am seeing some BBA now, well I think this is BBA:
Looks like Stagshorn, a Red algae (like BBA)

James Planted Tank says <http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm> "Low CO2 and/or poor water circulation. A tank with overfed fish and accumulated mulm. Dirty filter. Also disturbing dirty substrates without doing water change afterwards. "

I usually get some on the ends of older leaves if I have been a bit lax with filter maintenance, particularly in the winter when I feed less live food.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi D, it's not staghorn. I've had that and it's well gone now.
The algae I have only have single strands in little clumps.
None off it looks like staghorn,no branching from the strands.
It looks like this:

This pic is from James planted tank web site. I'm sure my algae is the same.

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Dave, you are right the little tufty bits are definitely BBA. I think you have a mix of algae, but don't worry all healthy tanks do. You also have some green algae.

If you have some Red ramshorn snails they will stop new tufts growing, although you will have to remove the older stuff, or just wait for it to detach and syphon it up.

The green thread algae looks like it is probably Oedogonium, green algae are photosynthetically similar to all the higher plants (including mosses and ferns)

I'd be tempted to just carry on with what you have been doing.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi all,
Dave, you are right the little tufty bits are definitely BBA. I think you have a mix of algae, but don't worry all healthy tanks do. You also have some green algae.

If you have some Red ramshorn snails they will stop new tufts growing, although you will have to remove the older stuff, or just wait for it to detach and syphon it up.

The green thread algae looks like it is probably Oedogonium, green algae are photosynthetically similar to all the higher plants (including mosses and ferns)

I'd be tempted to just carry on with what you have been doing.

cheers Darrel
cheers darrel,
i havent got the snails but i have seen my ottos eating it.ill be leaving it be and suck it out when they detach from the plants.