'Can Amano shrimp really breed in freshwater?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/blog.php?blogid=197

'Can Amano shrimp really breed in freshwater?' A shrimp taxonomist sets the record straight, writes Matt Clarke.

Caridina multidentata need saltwater to breed.

A reader called Diane recently dropped me a line to say that she'd successfully bred her Amano shrimps in freshwater.

While quite a few popular aquarium shrimp do breed in the aquarium, Amano shrimp, Caridina multidentata (formerly C. japonica) have a larval phase and are believed to reproduce only in marine or brackish conditions.

A few aquarists have claimed to have achieved such successes with the species, but the received wisdom is that the real C. multidentata needs saltwater.

Diane asked on the forums but was told that her shrimps couldn't be C. multidentata, as they don't breed in freshwater.

In attempt to find out more, she sent some of the shrimps away to a marine biology student, who identified them "without doubt" as Amano shrimps.

We passed on Diane's query to shrimp taxonomist Werner Klotz, who is something of an expert on the subject. Klotz told Practical Fishkeeping:

'Freshwater breeding Amanos' have been discussed for a long time. In my opinion, the true Amano shrimp, Caridina multidentata has an obligate requirement for marine water for larval development.

It could be possible that very few larvae (about 1 in 100,000) could develop in a freshwater tank, if the water contained high levels of calcium, magnesium or chloride ions. But continuous rearing of Caridina multidentata in freshwater is impossible.

There are some freshwater shrimp that are able to breed in freshwater and look similar to C. multidentata. Maybe the shrimp in question belongs to one of these three species.

If a shrimp population is breeding well in freshwater the larval biology and development will be somewhat different to that described in C. multidentata and this will belong to a distinct species.​
Klotz said he's happy to take a look at two or three adult specimens of the shrimp to confirm their identity, but suspects that they are one of the the other three similar looking Caridina.

garfieldnfish

Oct 7, 2009
Acworth, GA
No they can not.
They have to be transferred to a salt water set up within 3 days of hatching and then slowly returned to fresh water conditions once they morph into shrimp. When they morph they are so tiny I needed a magnifying glass to check on them every day. It is a royal pain to try to raise them but I have succeeded in getting them back to fresh water once. However, out of the 50 + larvae only 2 managed to survive and when I finally moved them into their own fresh water, planted tank, I never saw them again. They are only about 2 mm large at that stage and I will probably never go through that trouble again. But the larvae that hatches almost constantly with my adults make great fry food for baby plecos as the larvae lives for 3 days in fresh water and eventually sinks to the bottom of the tank before they die, great food for young carnivorous plecos. I have moved my amanos into the fry tank so my L316s can enjoy the larvae.

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Thy are larvae bearing the same as the Rednose shrimp I have been tinkering with both sp and a massive brine shrimp hatcher for the last 12 months to try and raise the larvae just cant get the levels right

garfieldnfish

Oct 7, 2009
Acworth, GA
I used full strength salt water. You can move the larvae straight from freshwater to full strength salt water. They have absolutely no problem with it. But I had several unsuccessful attempts before a few shrimp survived in the last experiment, several morphed but only 2 survived the transformation back to fresh water. That was the hardest part and I have to figure out a better way. I found that feeding them was a big issue as were water changes. You need saltwater grown algae for them to eat and if you have that you won't have to feed them anything else and it almost eliminates the need for water changes. I lost many larvae during water changes in earlier attempts. But once I grew saltwater algae in another container over the summer and then added that to the 2.5 gal saltwater set up they ate that just fine. If I ever get really bored I might try it again some time. I still have plenty of saltwater algae in a glass container in the basement. I have not done anything to it and it has been growing for over one year. I am sure there is a better way to do it, but I have read several accounts of people trying it and only a few actually succeeded.
Jo, if you are going to try it, let me know I might do it the same time and we can compare notes.

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Very interesting thread :clap:
I did away with my planted tank about 3 years ago and changed over to plecos and moved the amanos into the Pleco tank
I still have amanos in the tank and thought that they must have bred in the tank but maybee they are the origanal ones that I put in
I thought they only lived for a year or so but am not sure ?
Pete