LF L144a Female x Super Red Male (Bristlenoses)

Blanche

May 4, 2012
Alabama
One female L144a blue eyed is the only longfin bristlenose that I have in the tank with a group of super red shortfin bristlenose. A super red male bred with my longfin L144a female and most of the babies were shortfin super reds. But also a few beautiful longfin black/brown (w/white spotting and some white fin edging) bristlenose. Several age groups of these babies now.

Can anyone explain the genetics of this? And what these few longfin babies are? Are they breedable?

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
all the variations of the common bristlenose can throw back a common bristlenose....

over the years i did a lot of experimenting with common , albino , leucistic (falsely called L144, or now known as lemon bn) , marble bristlenose...

trying to predict outcomes of crosses etc etc....

and even though you may be breeding lemon bn x marble bn you generally get some of both varieties in the fry... but occasionally you also get some common bn.....

so your lemon l/f bn x super red has produced some of both and a throw back to the common bristlenose but if may have received the longfin gene from lemon female l/f..... you may also have both long and short fin common b/n....

interesting different permutations that can be done but at the end of the day the predicted outcome is not always as you would think and can change from one spawn to another....