Pogostemon erectus

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,long time no post..lol.
thats cos both my tanks are doing great...:clap:
anyway,i have some Pogostemon erectus in my 75L,pic below,and its going to need a trim soon.
im hoping to be able to put some in my edge.the problem is there is only half an inch of sand in my edge so i need some ideas as to how i can plant this without it floating away.ive got some of the lead strips,not to keen on these as they can crush the stem of the plant,the other pic is where i wont to plant it....in the corner in front of the heater,in my edge..

any ideas guys....

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Just take some of the leaves off of the bottom of the cut stem, to give you about 1" - 2" of clean stem. Push this in at an oblique angle (about 30o from vertical) to give you a longer amount of stem under the sand, then place a small pebble (or bit of pot etc) over the buried stem until it roots.

If it still won't stay stuck in the bottom of the tank, let the cutting float and the will eventually produce roots.

You should find that trimming it encourages the original plant to branch.

It was another plant that I couldn't grow submerged, but if it gets out of the tank into the air it grows really well and even flowers.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Cheers D. I'm not sure if it will grow in my edge tho. The info for this plant
says it needs good light. My edge has a low light set up. I'll see if I can put a
bit at the back, under the lights. Time will tell, shall do it Friday.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
well it sems to be growing in my edge ok.theres more of this plant that needs a trim in my big tank,will plant this bit in my edge soon.