Crossing to the darrrrk side.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
:lol: That's it! I am about to diverge from pure plecos to a few corydoras.
All you experts, get in here and be available to answer a ton of questions.
Getting Jullii, Habrosus, Arcuatus, Robinae and Septentrionalis.
Possible I may also get Albino lasers, barbatus and adolfoi as well.
I don't do anything by halves. :lol:

Question one: Do they HAVE to have sand or would anubias on dw and a bit of slate caves and bare bottom be ok? I do have some sand, just haven't put it in the tank yet.

McTackett

Mar 12, 2013
Gladstone
I have small rocks for substrate in my tanks and the ones that are laying are the nice easy to breed fellows. The albino and the pepper Cory.
They are in my community tank, and in my BN breeding tank. I have found the peppers prefer the glass to lay on over the plants. But they seem to love digging around in the mini rock substrate

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
I'm with Darrel, when I had both kinds of the illness (Cory and Lori) all my dedicated Cory tanks were reasonably fine sand, leaf litter and a few swords in a little bit deeper sand at the back and sides of the tanks.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I am going to put them all in together in a well established pleco tank for a start so I can observe them and made sure every ones travelled and done the transition just fine and are eating well.
Then I will plan who's going where from there.

I will have to watch ammonia levels but it should adjust quickly.
Two big L205 coming out and a whole lot of little corys going in a 4ft.

Road trip tomorrow, I am sooooo excited!

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Non of my tanks have substrate best substrate for cory would be soft dirt substrate like eco-comple avoids substrate that is sharp or the will wear down there barbs sand is fine as it is light and can move with ease

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
At this stage they are all together as that's pretty much the best one with long leaf anubias plants in it.
Discovered corys can play dead and give you a heart attack. They are also pretty dumb and swim down a sponge filter riser and get stuck.
Albino lasers are pretty neat.

Robinae and Julii colonies

3 young septent-whatever the rest of the name is lol.

Think these are bulbatus?

Hastiatus colony

Some young Adolfoi

Skunk cory, cant remember the proper name. This ones a bit ratty after getting stuck in the air sponge filter riser.

All up almost 50 corys. First I had to do daily wc's because of the impact to the tank but now its down to every second day. Bio's picking up slowly.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Barbatus is best kept at cooler temps ie 17-22
but as fry warmer temps may have them eating more n growing faster
Very nice selection just don't breed together lots of reports suggest cross breeding may occur but I'm unsure of the sp they refer too
Ps where did you buy them?

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
I always use bare bottom tanks for corys (both breeding and fry rearing) and never has any problem with it. There are reports of missing ventral fins due to excessive feeding and poor water quality for fry. I set my tanks up for automatic daily water change so it may be the reason why I dont see that problem. Corys with missing ventral fins will have issue breeding as the females use them to hold the eggs during spawning.

With exception of a few species, most corys are very very very (3 to emphasize) easy to breed once they reach maturity. As long as you get a nice size group of 10 to 20 of them to make sure you have a good mix of males and females (and use the wet/dry season triggers). Preferably more males than females as opposite to plecos where it is better to have more females than males.

The only reason I dont like to breed corys is the time consuming factor of removing the eggs from the breeding tank, otherwise the fry survivability will deminish in the breeding tank. Depending on the size of your breeding group, each species can breed every other days for several weeks at a time. Multiply that by however many species you have, you can be spending all day just to remove the eggs from each tank.