Fish tank stand ?

dony2020

Dec 16, 2010
florida
okay so wow i have been so busy with work and stuff but i finally have gotton some time to want another tropical freshwater tank i still have my one idk what size its between 55-120 it looks like a 55 but its way taller,

anyways i wanted to know if a tv stand would work for it maybe a carpenter would know it is made out of particleboard: idk if i should even think about it but its really sturdy and meant to hold one of the older tube tv's so idk its pretty well made and i measured the tank its 4ft and i want inch and half from each side so it will be 4'2.5" and the stand is 8' long now the top and sides come off from the pictures and well i need some input the bottom cabinet is all wood around but the back plate is a thin sheet also it has cross members for the base

Sorry about the clutter kind of a storage thing right now

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I'd say no way for a 4 foot tank.
A 55 gallon weighs in the neighborhood of 450 pounds when full of water (approximately 8 pounds per gallon). Add gravel & rocks & its more. A bigger tank would obviously be much more. Particleboard is not a structurally sound material as it lacks sufficient rigidity. Without some 2x or 4x structure to it I wouldn't put much more than a 20 gallon tank on that. In addition, should the particleboard get wet, it tends to swell & lose all strength. Even with our best vigilance, a tank stand is bound to get wet or absorb enough moisture to to cause problems with particleboard. Particleboard might suffice for facing but not for strength.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i would agree with that what Lornek stated. Think of it this way, would 4-5 people be able to stand on it ? I would not risk it and would suggest to buy/build a seperate stand. I would also not even attempt to stregthen the cabinet with 2x1 timbers etc. cheers jk :thumbup:

dony2020

Dec 16, 2010
florida
thanks for your input i figured it might not be suitable. oh well lol good thing i didn't rush into it and asked first ha-ha there would be a flood in here tonight that's how much i want my plecs and fish back