Fry, Juvvies, or sub adults

mikebren12

Nov 25, 2010
Wynyard Co Durham
Hi guys,

Just after your thoughts on the best age to buy plecs for general fish keeping, not neccesarily for breeding.

The reason for asking is due to some bad luck, stupidity on my part and well whatever else happens in this wonderful hobby.

((2 X L270 died whitespot, 1 X L270 to stupitidy. 1 X L066 just disappeared) all juvvies).

((1 X L168 injured & subsequently died) adult)

((1 X L183 didn't settle or starved to death, lasted 17 days in tank)sub-adult

Just wondering

Mike

boogaloo

Apr 16, 2011
Highlands of Scotland
Hi. I've found that the plecs I've bought young end up being more "visible" than those that were older - one BN I bought a few years ago as a small youngster comes over and sucks my hand when I put the food in, she's really friendly, whereas a sub-adult I bought is rarely to be seen! My common was tiny when I bought him, and he's always out and about, and very laid-back - I can gravel wash around him and he just sits there watching me. I'm guessing if they are young, they mature in your tank and get used to you. Plus, it means you have them around for longer and get to watch them grow.

Not sure how this would hold up with the more delicate species though, as I have mostly BNs and a common. Sorry to hear about your losses, sounds like a run of bad luck - happens to us all.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
A question with a multitude of answers.
Younger fish tend to be more visible for two main reasons
a/they are feeding more
b/ they have yet to experience predation.

Young fish that are wild caught tend to be less hardy mainly due to water conditions and diet requirements. Tank breed and tank raised fish are more hardy be they young or adult as they are more acclimatised to the conditions.
Fish that are wild caught or captive breed should be given conditions as close to nature as possible the problem with this is knowing what natural conditions the experienced in the wild.
My answer to this question would be to be researcher before you become a buyer, find the fish that suite what you can give them.

Fish do not just die to spite the person who brought them.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
agree, tank bred do not have this tendancy to fight for food, as we feed them. I personally like to by 4 to 6 juvies of Ls and not subadults. They can then sort each other out slowly and through time. Or you by adult pairs and save the hassle so to speak. cheers jk :thumbup:

mikebren12

Nov 25, 2010
Wynyard Co Durham
Thanks for the replies,

I do appreciate, they don't die to spite us, I was just wondering the advantages to buying different age groups, which you've all kindly answered.

Many thanks

Mike