super red pleco

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
No L number for the Ancistrus sp. 'Super Rot'. It does not breed true and will throw normal color fry so it is probably a hybrid of different species. Some fake ones use L144/L144a with color enhanced food. It was originated from Germany and the best colored ones are still from Germany. People in USA are crossing them with whatever that looks yellowish to orangeish and turning it in sought of a Frankenstein experiment. I typically steer clear from all these color forms like green, chocolate, calico, red, and all shades in between. I also avoid long-fin of anything as they are hybrid as well.

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
Yes, longfins originally came from line breeding. However, since then others have hybridized it by cross breeding with other species. All (almost all) LF albino on the market now throw normal color offsprings, which tell us that they have been hybridized. The problem has also started to normal fin ones as people unknowingly (or maybe on purpose) breeding these hybridized fish to normal variants as well.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
thats unusual... normally i get common longfins occasionally throwing an albino l/f and couple times throwing marbles as well....

one group of common b/n i have had for 8 years in a big tank has bred commons for last 6 years and only in the last couple years i have been getting marble ones too... around 2-3 fry per 100 common fry... nothing has been added to that tank ever... since day one...