Strange rusty spot on my gold nuggets belly/anal area.

Jack.H

Dec 27, 2015
Carlisle, England
Hi all,

I have Gold spot plec which is around 12 inches in length and I have had her for about 6 yrs. In the last week or so I have noticed a strange orange rusty coloured spot about an inch in diameter around her lower belly near her anal region. In addition the shute which she poops from is constantly extended and is pale white rather than her normal skin colour.

Her behaviour is completely normal she has a good appetite (her usual diet consists of algae wafers , spinach and cucumber) and is still very active still digging pits and likes to move wood around the tank.

Water conditions are fine ph approx 7 to 7.2, the carbon hardness is medium to hard, no other fish are ill in the tank. I am not new to fish keeping having had various tanks throughout the last 30 years.

However in that time I have never encountered this problem. Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone know what could be the cause.

I have attached some pictures below to help identify the issue.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice,

Regards Jack.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i dont think your pleco is a gold nugget..... looks more like a common pleco...

but thats not helping your problem..... i havent really noticed this on any fish before but if everything is good and healthy with your fish i wouldnt be overly concerned at the moment.... just keep an eye on it and see if it changes over time....

sorry not much help really

Jack.H

Dec 27, 2015
Carlisle, England
Hi, thanks for the reply to my post, yeah my mistake she`s a gold spot not a gold nugget I've altered it on the post my poor brain is suffering from Xmas chaos .There,s been a good few people looking so maybe soon some one might have seen it before and give me a clue.
I,ve been to the best local aquarists shop and they suggested putting a general purpose antibacterial in the tank which I began yesterday in case it could be the start of a ulcer or such thing.
All the best Jack.

Jack.H

Dec 27, 2015
Carlisle, England
Wow, Thanks I have never seen this before, but I must admit I've never owned a plec this large before. I love her dearly as she was rescued and in a bad way and only around half the size when I first got her. She's hand tame and comes to take food from me.( I know I'm mad ). So I presume this orange is just an adult thing and not too worry about after all. Thank you so much. all the best Jack.