Good news!

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
Thought I would share the good news...My zebra plecs spawned about a month ago, right after they spawned I had to go out of town for work. When I got back there were no babies in the cave:cry:. Last week they spawned again, but for one reason or another the male kicked out the eggs, so while was in the tank gathering up the eggs I noticed one, two, three, four baby zebs from the previous spawn:woohoo:. Thay are fat little guys! Unfortunately I did end up losing the eggs that the male kicked out, fungus. I have some methylene blue on order 'just in case'. Hopefully they will continue to spawn for me. They are definately being alot more boisterous as of late!:yes:

Dec 11, 2009
california
great news!!! hopefully mine would do the same

Thought I would share the good news...My zebra plecs spawned about a month ago, right after they spawned I had to go out of town for work. When I got back there were no babies in the cave:cry:. Last week they spawned again, but for one reason or another the male kicked out the eggs, so while was in the tank gathering up the eggs I noticed one, two, three, four baby zebs from the previous spawn:woohoo:. Thay are fat little guys! Unfortunately I did end up losing the eggs that the male kicked out, fungus. I have some methylene blue on order 'just in case'. Hopefully they will continue to spawn for me. They are definately being alot more boisterous as of late!:yes:

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Good to hear some of the original spawn made it :woohoo:

Shame about the eggs but hopefully the male will learn and keep them in the cave next time. Its possible they werne't fertile which is why he hoofed them out in the first place :dk:

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
Shame about the eggs but hopefully the male will learn and keep them in the cave next time. Its possible they werne't fertile which is why he hoofed them out in the first place :dk:
I know the eggs were indeed fertile as I had them in a tumbler for about 3 days and could see tails on the eggs before they fungused. I think there are too many males and not enough females because the day after he kicked the eggs out there was a smaller male that was badly beat up. I'm hoping they sort it out soon because one of the other females is looking really fat. My big male contradens also has a female trapped right now, we'll see what happens with that:)

BluE SnipeR

Oct 11, 2009
Sydney
Well done mate, I would love to have a go at breeding zebs but I think they are way overpriced in Australia.

Shouldn't be too long before you get another batch.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well done, congrats, how exciting for you. I am sure you will get lots more now.
I would also avoid M Blue as not good for filter.