Whitspot outbreak!

Jan 8, 2016
UK
Have a whitespot outbreak in my ABN tank. 4 in the tank , 1 male 3 females.
Some questions I upped temp to 30, is this safe. I removed the very badly affected tetras to an isolation tank to buy time for plecos. But plecos now have spots on fins. I also drastically increased areation. Cleaned the tank WC and started using protozin. Poor little things are breathing rapidly not eating, so not feeding much to preserve good water quality and quite distressed. However amorous male still chasing the ladies creating stress for them, all 3, is it worth dividing tank to separate him? Is it safe or not to use API aquarium salt?
Params.
Ammonia.0
Nitrites.0
Nitrate.0
PH.7.5
Dont have hardness kit, but tapwater is relatively hard. Using peat pellets in filter and wood to soften water.
Temp going towards 30 gradually.

Tank size. 4ft x1ft x1ft two 1500 LPH Internal filters. Always over filter my pleco tanks. Lots .of decor hiding spots. No other fish now. WC Substrate vac daily, occasionally with cool water to induce spawning. Use tetrasafe dechlor.
Hope I've included all the requested info, if not just ask!

Feed them new era rift lake green, repashy, soilent green, algae wafers. Lots of different veggies.

Last edited:

danfishy84

Feb 2, 2016
Queensland
Hi Teresa,

Not much experience with white spot to be honest, might have something to do with the Australian weather :).

My plecs can take 30° + tank temp no problems. You mentioned they are breathing hard, this could be because of the temperature rise. The higher the temp the more air you will need to introduce to the tank for them.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with more relevant white spot experience.

cheers,
Dan

Jan 8, 2016
UK
Thanks Dan much appreciated! I have as much air as I can provide going into tank, air diffusers power heads filters making huge amounts of surface agitation it's an open top tank in a well aerated room under an open window as it's not too cold during the day atm. They are breathing more easily but obviously have Gill irritation as still flraing gills regularly. Keeping them quiet to allow recovery.

danfishy84

Feb 2, 2016
Queensland
No problems. Sounds like plenty of air, so probably just the white spot irritating the gills.

Protozin should do the job, I have had good experience with Waterlife products so far.