White scales killing fish

Pufferpunk

Oct 27, 2015
SC
Ever seen this before? It came in on wild plecos & is an ongoing problem, moving onto healthier ones. It starts at the gills, which is why I thought it might be parasitic but quickly spreads quickly to the fins & body. The ONLY thing I have been able to repair with & completely eradicate it with is by adding Indian almond leaves but as soon as I run out, it comes back.
Please--if you do not know what it is, please don't guess!!! It's NOT ich!

Gills

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Looks like "Columnaris". It is a bacterial disease and will kill your fish if you can't treat it.

It is worse in harder water and can be associated with low water quality. It is difficult to treat with external anti-microbial drugs once it gets a hold and you can see the fluffy white filaments. I'm not sure what anti-microbial drugs are available to you, but you really need an antibiotic that can be administered with food, if your fish are still eating.

If you can't get Indian Almond leaves, Alder cones or Oak leaves may help, but it is difficult to treat once it gets a hold.

Have a look at <Columnaris disease in fish: a review with emphasis on bacterium-host interactions>

cheers Darrel

Pufferpunk

Oct 27, 2015
SC
You mentioned Oak leaves--I have a 200' oak tree in my front yard shedding all it's leaves for winter. But it has a disease called Oak Leaf Blister. Would it still be OK to use them? I also have lots of Indian almond leaves in the tanks. It is helping.

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
Oak leaves or IALs are not going to cure the disease. My suggestion is to use a combination of malachite green and formalin which I have used many times with positive results. However, even slight overdose or prolong treatment will kill the fish.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
You mentioned Oak leaves--I have a 200' oak tree in my front yard shedding all it's leaves for winter. But it has a disease called Oak Leaf Blister. Would it still be OK to use them? I also have lots of Indian almond leaves in the tanks. It is helping.
The Oak leaves will be fine.
Oak leaves or IALs are not going to cure the disease.
Unfortunately I agree with "leisure_man", I'm not sure any external treatment can save them now.

Acriflavin might be easier to get then formalin (I'm in the UK, so I don't know what you can get in the USA). Malachite green should be available.

cheers Darrel