New L260 - Sexing If Poss

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
Hi everyone just been out for a nice 3hr round trip to collect a Queen Arabesque Pleco it is 3.5" in lengh hopefully sexable the pleco has a pure white belly (PC says white bellys = females) here is a photo of the pleco, would be great if people could give sexing it a go :)

Cheers
Rob

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
hmmmmm got a side pic?. The chew chew looks abit suspect from above. Dont believe the hype about white belly = equals female. At 3.5" I would expect to see some hair on the pectorals if it was a male

Cheers

thegeeman

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
very good chance its a girl....

white belly dont mean female alone... i have proven males with white bellies
i think it may be true with certain blood lines in the species but not a hard and fast rule...

has minimal pectorial hairs which is also a good sign its female but again not a hard and fast rule... seen proven female hairy than any male (italian girl maybe!!!)

has the U-shaped body which points towards a girl too.... but well fed males can look slightly U-shaped too....

but my money is on a female.... :woohoo:

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
My breeding female has a very long chew chew and is hairy so not always easy but I would vote for female looking at that but like Gee says, a side view would be good, especially of the pectorals :D

Hope it turns out to be a female for you :thumbup:

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
I hope it is female, i have added the pleco to the tank now so its impossible to take a photo unless i catch it and take one, which ill do if this photo is no good here is the photo its previous ower took for me yesterday, and yes it does have fairly large chew hairs but i cant see much anywhere else.