L134 Sexing...

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Hi Guys,

Quick question ( probably a stupid one LOL ! ), but at approx 4'' in size would males be showing the hairs on their butts by now ?

I have a group of 8 and am still trying to figure out if I have both sexes.
There's been a lot of scrapping recently, with a few scuffed sides, and knowing my luck I probably have a tank full of males ..LOL !

Cheers
Elaine

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Hi Guys,

Quick question ( probably a stupid one LOL ! ), but at approx 4'' in size would males be showing the hairs on their butts by now ?

I have a group of 8 and am still trying to figure out if I have both sexes.
There's been a lot of scrapping recently, with a few scuffed sides, and knowing my luck I probably have a tank full of males ..LOL !

Cheers
Elaine
:yes: at that size you should see ordontode growth on them if male. If theres been a lot of scrapping could be that they are reaching maturity and males are starting to compete for the alpha position in the tank. id keep a close eye on them, L134 can get very nasty towards each other :wb:

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks Kevin,

I am watching them closely as there seems to be a fair bit of activity in what used to be a reasonably settled tank.

So at that size (4''), if there are no signs of growth, can I hope to have females then ?

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Thanks Kevin,

I am watching them closely as there seems to be a fair bit of activity in what used to be a reasonably settled tank.

So at that size (4''), if there are no signs of growth, can I hope to have females then ?
haha no it doesnt work like that :wb:

dominant males will develope course bristle like hairs on the back half, but also mature fmeales can also develop finer hair on the back half, just to throw in some more confusion sub dominant males can show fine hair like females :dk: .......... confused lol you should be

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Well, I'm glad that's that all cleared up then ....... LOL !
Confused ? Very ... !

Suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the replies.
Elaine

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Sorry Elaine lol, they are one plec that confuses me and i hate trying to sex. If mature and in breeding mode they arent too bad, but sub dominant ones and younger ones are a nightmare in my opinion

best way to sex them is wait untill you have fry in the tank, that way you know you have at least one of each lol

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
I'd agree with all said above - The dominant male will be easy to spot but sub dominants will tend to look a lot more female...

I posted a a picture of our pair in my gallery last night...
hope this helps a bit.

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Really nice pic, thanks Russell !

Even I can see differences between the two, it does help a lot.

Cheers
Elaine

hooked_zeus

May 3, 2009
Townsville, Qld, Oz
i have a 7.5cm male in a tank by himself, and he is a very hairy guy. So that shows when they start to mature. But then again it could be he is the only fish in the tank.

Cheers