Papa ID

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Sorry no picture but I know the panaque perverts will no the answer.

I rescued a potentially lovely Papa today (doesnt look like its seen any wood for several months) its about 7" nose to base of the tail, its tail extensions are only about 3" (but grew up with malawis and the shop I found it in with opted to put in a tank full of Tropheus :shock: its main distinguishing feature is the orangey/red colour in the tail and extensions.

It has been in my SA tank for about 3 hours and hasn't come away from the wood yet, despite 4 lumps of courgette in there.

Thanks in advance.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
A panaque with tail extensions i'd say is going to be a papa, pics would be very cool though

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Its definately a Papa, L090 just wonder which variant a,b,c,etc.... my only concern about it is belly is little hollow for my liking, the eyes are still in the right place so I'm hoping with a good bit of TLC, 15kgs of Curio wood and plenty of fresh veg and it will be back to good health in no time.

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
My money would be on L203, apparently 99% of L90 that come into the UK are actually L203. I may be wrong.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
what does qft mean?

just got home and panaque seems to have survived the first 24hrs without getting in a scrap with my alpha gold nugget. After lights out i stayed down after dark and watched him feed on the courgette, just dropped some mango for them tonight.

I

intrepidmax

dubz i really hope he fills his belly mate. I wish you nothing but the best.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Hes been on the mango tonight, but i got a close up of his belly tonight whilst he was on the front glass...............not good its very empty. I've seen him eating i just hope he can eat enough sooner rather than later. Dropped a bit of potato in aswell now and JBL mega wafers.

Will keep you posted.......

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Quote For Truth!

fingers crossed for him, hope he is ok
I'll try find it, can't remember where i saw it atm

Edit: did you not say that on PF mike? I have saw it else where but recalled someone saying it pretty recent on there.

Last edited:

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Progress report - I've seen sitting on the food, but it is painfully thin. If it is eating it hasnt got much of an appetite. I think its got no more than 50/50, I'm going to move it to a samller less competitive tank tomorrow.

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
I'll try find it, can't remember where i saw it atm

Edit: did you not say that on PF mike? I have saw it else where but recalled someone saying it pretty recent on there.
yeah I have said it a few times, I have seen probably 4 different batches of 'L90' on sale and they were all 203's imo

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
An update on the Panque, i'm pretty certain its a L090c, hsving seen 2 almost identical today. It seems to be progressing well but is by no means out of the woods yet. It is painfully thin and not eating as hungrily as every other Panaque I've kept. It goes looking for food and lands on the courgette but doesn't seem to tuck in. i saw rooting through the sand today not long after dry feed (NLS Spectrum Garlic Formula, JBL jumbo Wafers and Tetra discs. And I've also noticed him pooing healthily aswell.

Skatz has seen my pics and confirm they are pretty dire to say the least, I'll try to get one up soon though.

Last edited: