New Year Project Lower Xingu

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Later this month I am building my dream biotope (I only have the 1 tank so need to make it a good one).
The tank is currently coming into the 4th week of cycling I'm using 4 tinfoils, 2 small clarius and 1 male A Labiatum.

The tank is 60x18x24 and will be home to species from the Lower Xingu close to the Volte Grande rapids where they end at Porto Altamira. It is my intention to keep a selection catfish, characins & cichlids. I have spent the best part of 10 months planning and researching this project.

The area is mainly made up of a balsalt type bed rock and features huge rocky out crops and boulder stacks, this is where many Loricads from this region occur & breed. To replicate scale I will be using 5 very large monolith type pieces of grey slate and scottish pink skiff, each piece is approx 20-26" long and 3-4" thick, to create crevices for the plecos I'm using small pieces of slate (the sort used for making decorative features in gardens). The inspiration for this project came from my group of 10 wild Hypancistrus Zebra which live tight in the crevices around this area. It is also a tribute to the region sadly is in grave danger from the Belo Monte Dam :cry:

I currently have the following fish which are being looked after by a freind:
10 Hypancistrus Zebra L46 (unsure of ratios) but I've 1 succesful spawn)
2 Baryancistrus Xanthellus L18 (juv.) 2-3"
1 Scobiancistrus Aureatus L14 (juv.) 4"
1 Panaque Armbrusteri 'Xingu' L27 (juv.) 4"
1 Squaliforma Emarginata (juv.) 4"
5 Tatia Intermedia (breeding group)

As a dither fish I will be using Hyphessbrycon Pulchripinnis - Lemon Tetras as they occur in the Lower Xingu close to my target area.

I am in the process of importing some very rare fish direct from the region
Geophagus Altifrons 'Xingu'
" " 'Sao Felix''
The Geos won't be mixed and I will only keep one of the races.
5/6 Acnodon Normani - Sheep Pacu
5 Hassar Orestis - type of dora

I'm on the look out for Crenicichla Sp. Xingu II (juv.) which hoping to find F1s in the UK, I doubt I'll get them, but quite Teleocichla instead.

I have given a lot thought to this project and the stock fish, I know many will be concerned with this but I really am trying to replicate a snapshot of nature as am very keen to follow Heiko Bleher philosphy and hope to see some natural behaviour from this project.

If anyone has any input or knows of any fish from this region in the UK please let me know?

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Very interesting project. I look forward to some pics.

Where did you do most of your research for the project? Have you been there?!

What equipment will you be using? Filteration etc?

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Cheers Mark,
- Pics will follow soon as my busted arm is out of the full arm cast (hopefully 18/1)
- My research has been redominantly web based, I'm lucky to be very goodfact finding and then contacting several people that have been, studied & collected in the region to verify a few things cast a professional opinion and advice.
- Never been and probably wont, as it will be a baron stream and a flooded reservior by the time i could.
- Equipment is quite simple JBL & Ejiem Externals, 2 H/stats (500w combined) these will be replaced by Hydors in time. Plus a single 36" power glo for a low level lighting effect.
Circulation, turbulance and oxygen levels are extremely important. For this I am using 2 marine style circulators. Tunze 6045 Turbelle (6000lph) will be on 100% of the time and a SEIO M2600 (10000lph) will be occassionally to replicate heavy rains.

Mark421

Aug 19, 2012
York
Cool. I like the idea of using reef equipment to increase water flow. What substrate will you be using? Will the amount of water movement effect the substrate at all do you think?

Will you be using plants/CO2?

Do you have links to sites you have used for info?

Sorry for all the questions but I find it fascinating!

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
The substrate will be Limpopo Blsck sand, mixed with normal coloured sand and I'll add some gravel aswell mainly for the Geo's & Hassars

The area is low in plant life, so I doubt I'll be adding much plant. I will be using some seasoned redmoor wood, I'm considering binding some Riccia onto this, there will be a couple more bits of sunken driftwood for the Panaque.

No worries about the questions, I'll provide links later in the thread.

ridout

Nov 17, 2009
Wiltshire
The very best of luck with your tank. It sounds like a fantastic project. I look forward to reading about your progress.

Ridout