hello all, meet my 1 foot Pterygoplichthys disjunctivus

<pleco(

Oct 20, 2010
sevenoaks
hi all, come over from the tropical fish forum, followed the link from scatz.

was offered this for free, and was being kept in a 35/40 litre tank!!
im glad i have rehomed him but at the moment not moving about much but not suprized having hardly any space to live in!

any way heres some pics. and if a sex is able to be determined id quite like to know.

and currently hiding in here!

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
:hi: Hi, and welcome to plecoplanet.
sorry, i cant help with sexing your plec, commons are very hard to sex properly

<pleco(

Oct 20, 2010
sevenoaks
yer, how could i get it sexed, although its not particularity matters as they wont breed in a tank any how will they? there quite picky were they want to mate

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
yer, how could i get it sexed, although its not particularity matters as they wont breed in a tank any how will they? there quite picky were they want to mate
The most definitive is to get a large, clear picture of the genital papillia. Females are blunted, males are more pointy, can be quite tought though as how blunt/pointy is rather relative.

They can be bred in tanks but require huge tanks, public zoo/aquarium sized. In nature they dig burows in mud walls where they lay eggs, this can be quite difficult to duplicate in the aquarium though I don't think an absolute necessity. Honestly though while a great project, not sure if it is necessarily worth the cost & trouble. They are bred in such large numbers in outdoors ponds and so cheaply that there would be little return on investment though that shouldn't stop you if its what you'd like to do.

<pleco(

Oct 20, 2010
sevenoaks
hi again, basicly im coming to a head here, ive loved saving this 1foot pleco from a 2x1foot tank but im really feeling its just not large enough to cater for hes needs, hes pooing fine and demolishing the cucumbers and lettuce i lay down for him in the night but he just seems to strugle to get in to his hiding place and also he seems very restless when he does come out of an evening.
so ive been thinking of handing him over to my maiden head aquatics and let them keep him or sell him on to some one with a very big tank, i know a few guys goin in have a 470 litre tank! think int was 6foot by 3 foot but id love some thing that big!!!.

so although i feel less bad because ive saved him from a life trapped in a 2x1 tank which had a bit of bog wood and 3 discus's in i feel much better knowing they have a few large 5 foot tanks at floor level.

just sad to see him go but his life is better of in a bigger tank

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
well they do need big tanks, so unless you can upgrade (what size is yours anyway?), it would be better to rehome him, then maybe get a smaller plec to replace him?