Albinos Wedging?

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I found one of my female albinos wedged between my filter nitake and the glass today deceased. Is it normal for them to try and wedge themselves between things?

I lost a male longfin a few months ago after it wedged itself between the tank and a fry saver ..

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
sorry for your loss. not usually do they wedge. maybe he was spooked, sick or other male/female fight. do you have enough caves ? Are your caves tight enough ? just a thought cheers jk :thumbup:

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
definately plenty of caves, I looked at the body and there was nothing out of the ordinary to suggest a fight or sickness :(

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
What else is in the tank? Is it possible as bigbird suggested that something has spooked it?
My other thought would be seeing as both incidents you mentioned seem to be near the top of the tank, is how is the oxygen supply in the tank?

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
The recent one was at the bottom of the tank in the corner, wedged between the black plastic intake cover and corner of tank.

Definately nothing to spook her is only my other albinos and a peppermint in the tank.

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
ok, thanks for clarifying that. I just thought that they must of been near the top.

How old/size are they?
Also with being spooked it doesn't necessarily have to be something inside the tank either. I have had fish jump out the tank because the kids ran past it (Actually had that particular fish jump out quite a few times because of the kids) and another ended up with severe cuts to it's head from darting into a rock when the kids spooked it.

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
it was about 6-7cms big not sure on age i never raised it from fry so not too sure. The biggest thing that stresses me is i never see them eat but then again i am hoping they are doing it of a night time.

-sigh-