Another death????????

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I found my long fin male dead just now, his belly was bloated and had red marks on it. He was alive however like 2 hours ago and looked fine.

this is my second death in a week

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
just checked some perimeters, nitrite 0 nitrate 10ppm amonia thru the roof WTF!.

did an immediate 80% water change double dosed prime, seachem stability, cleaned canister filter and restarted.

If it is the ammonia though would it not kill my 3 week old fry before an adult that was full of life 2 hrs earlier

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Sorry for your loss. baby fry add a huge bioload as well. How much water change do you do a week anyway ? cheers jk :thumbup:

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I change 25-30% in the breeding tank every 4 days. in the grow out tank where 99% of my fry are i change about the same.

the breeding tank only has like 5 fry in there ranging from 2-3weeks up to about 6 weeks.
Would it be the ammonia? I dont understand the red blood on the belly and bloat when he was fine hours earlier.

I'm having a pretty $%&^ time with deaths :( breeding colony nearly all gone, the 2 females left i think are too small :'(

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
no losses today however i have noticed a few milky like bubbles formed on the surface up against the glass. is this a result of the ammonia?