Love Fish Anti Bacteria And Fungus med issue

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hey guys

I used the 'love fish' medication to treat a growth on my cory and half my stock died including meny prized pleco's :rip:

pets@home have acepted its their fault and are refunding me a £150 in damages but it will never bring back the fish i have lost.

I bought it because it was a pound cheaper :wb::wb:than the brand i have always used before and had the same ingrediants.

Just dont do it....not worth the risk!

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
Sorry to hear that :cry: Its never a good thing to lose fish when you are trying your best to do the right thing...I have made many poor choices over the years which I regret doing... All we can do is move on and learn from it...Esha is a very good range that you can use, and totally safe for your fish.

Jason20679

Mar 26, 2011
Crewe
Hi,
I had Guppies from pets at home near me and they died with in a week and took 6 green neon tetra and 3 rosy tetra with them.
When i told them about they gave me £10 credit note.
Since then I've added 3 plecs without any problems.

I'm quite wary about getting any more fish from there now.

J

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
pets at home is a total no no with fish for me also- same thing when i started this hobby i bought fish from there and they all died.... but i still buy my essentials from there..... not any more! (except for things that are not there own brand!)

rpp1973

Apr 26, 2009
Stroud (Gloucestershire)
In our local they have delivery thursday morning and dont sell that day.. but do on the friday for the weekend.
there are some bargins to be had but you have to be able to Qt them at home in a seperate tank before adding to your establishd community. this should be practice regardless of where you buy fish.

may i ask whats in the list of ingreedients and im very suprised they have compensated you anything was it a member of staff that reccomended the product to you.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
I dont have the bottle anymore but it is the same as esha....

they didnt recommend it but i spoke to the manager and he sorted it out.

I actually underdosed what it said on the bottle and it still killed at least four different species of bottom dwellers....

I have a special tool when it comes to complaining and getting my money back..... my wheelchair.... people get blinded by it!!

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
it is hard if one is short of money to look at spending and costs. Mostly it works, buying something cheaper, but sometimes it does not. Maybe a harsh lesson learnt, that cheapest is not always best, but keep an eye out for that or ask beforehand. again sorry for your loss. cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
oh, cc, gutted for you, same happened to me,, sent hubby for med at lfs , the manager sold him what he said was same as what i requested,but cheaper .-- you can guess the rest.

But , I started all over , re-stocked and I never use chain lfs anymore.NEVER...the manager was awful and snotty over the situation.. so now I use AQUARIUM ONLY stores, longer drive,but will never give my money to those jokers again. Hard lesson learned.

Best of luck to ya.
Georgie

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Sorry to hear about the fish:(

Did the love fish med have the ingredients on the bottle?
I appreciate you say it has the same ingredients as, im presuming esha 2000 which incidentally contains copper, would be interesting to find out for sure and the strength of the ingredients.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hey doodles and moo
thanks for you empathy, its nice to talk to people that understand that a loss of fish is a big deal!
I have found out the exact ingrediants- i ment to say the same asinterpret anti fungas and finrot medication that only has phenoxyethanol 40,00mg per 100mls.... i have used tghis medication a couple of time befor as a last result..... i was settling in a new betta splenda in my hospital tank so didnt want to put the medication in there! :( i figured as it had the same ingrediants what the hell.... i figure differently now!

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
o bugga- i think i'll just give medication a complete miss and pray instead, will probally have better results!

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I think I will respectfully have to agree to disagree on the comment that Esha meds are totally safe with your fish. No medication is totally safe imo, whilst the short term detrimental effects may be obvious, the long term damage that could be caused to organs, re productivity etc are not so obvious.

Anyway totally agree that good healthy water and diet is the way to go:thumbup:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I use meds as a lst resort and i have 3 i use
water life white spot treatment
the Fix It Twins
I only use them if i have a good reason and with great care.
So far in the last year I have used them once and seen no side effects by as Lisa said we dont know what damage it is doing.

Regards Bob

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I think I will respectfully have to agree to disagree on the comment that Esha meds are totally safe with your fish. No medication is totally safe imo, whilst the short term detrimental effects may be obvious, the long term damage that could be caused to organs, re productivity etc are not so obvious.

Anyway totally agree that good healthy water and diet is the way to go:thumbup:
Ok I'll rephrase things..I find out of all the meds available I find Esha is one of the safest to use on plecos.
In an ideal world it would be great to rely on good water and hope, but that doesn't always cut it especially with some of the more resilient forms of Ick that's around nowadays...I had an instance this week with neon tetra disease on cardinals..They were dropping like flys 20-30 per day followed very closely by my panda corys...Water conditions were as good as I could make it, no change to the deaths:wb: It took a very aggressive treatment of esha 2000 plus another med combined for three days to control it...I have no doubt whatsoever that without the meds I would be looking at an empty tank...Sorry if I've rambled on a bit.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
You haven't rambled on and thank you for replying. Im sorry you had problems with NTS and you had no choice but to treat. If you have to treat, you have to treat, there's no getting away from that.

A lot of fish keepers don't seem to realise the problems that can be caused by using meds especially unsuitable or wrong meds for the job.