Planted tank Photos

lealea

Apr 25, 2009
Brisbane Australia
I am thinking as I am getting out of breeding L numbers slowly we may set up a new tank in the house to enjoy again. with some L numbers but also some display fish and plants. Post your planted tanks to give me inspiration. Thanks lealea:clap:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
You might have to make a decision whether you are going to run co2 or not, as many plant choices do better with the co2 than without.

Hung down the road from you at Darra has some pretty reasonable anubias in pots or on dw at times. Sells like hot cakes though so you might have to drop in a few times to look.

I had crypts doing alright with the plecos but as soon as I gravel vacc'd the crypts didnt like their roots disturbed so I am going to try just burying them in their pots so the roots go straight down and my vaccing doesnt annoy them. I don't mind if they grow roots along under the under gravel filter.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I run Co2 on two tanks.
One is on my 5 foot and is the disposable can system,,Not enough grunt for my big tank , so I will be moving it to the 3 foot to see how it goes..

My fav is my DIY system :clap: Running now for 2 years on a 70L tank with my are my 4 L397's, Cherry Shrimp & DAShrimp & a juvie commonlf bn..

The yeast mix goes like this.....

You'll need:
Just under a teaspoon of yeast (2/3) (the dry yeast for bread making is fine, comes with several satchels in the box)
2 cups sugar
A pinch of Bi-carb (helps to maintain steady pH)

Firstly, clean out your bottle with hot water till is has no smell to it. Fill the bottle with enough hot water to saturate the sugar to melt. Put your 2 cups of sugar in including the bi-carb, and give the bottle a good shake by placing a spare lid on or with your fingers/hands.

In a cup of 28-29 temp water(important), place your yeast in with a good pinch of sugar. Give it a good stir, and let it sit.(the sugar activates the yeast)

Fill your sugar bottle up with cold water, BUT just enough so that your yeast mix can still fit in and make it up to where the bottle starts to curve (spout).

When your bottle cools down to under 30, you can place your yeast mix in and give it another good shake. By this time your yeast should have activated.

Place your co2 cap back on TIGHTLY and your done!

It will take a few hours to build up enough pressure to push the C02 gas up to the diffuser.
The first morning after you have bubbles from diffuser, your fish may be on the top gasping a little,
This never happened to me, but it is something to watch for, as the C02 has an effect on your pH,
What I do is, turn my air up full at night , when light are turned off, This will displace the Gas faster, as the plants don't use C02 for photosynthesis when resting, & with the extra unused gas in the water it will cause pH swings,
The Bi Carb used in the recipe making process helps to keep the pH stable.
remember when the lights go on, you turn the air down to almost nothing....a few bubbles is ok.

Bottle lasts about three weeks..I always make mine the night before I am changing over, so the pressure is already built up enough to only take a short while to start to work the diffuser.
I don't know if this recipe is right for a bigger sized tank or even if it matters, another thing to find out I guess.
I haven't had any issues with mine..
This recipe creates 1 bubble per second of Co2 gas..

Now you just sit back and watch the plants grow out the top of your tank lol
Here are some pics
With my old regulator

The diffuser

My new fandangled reactor

The results

The growth you get is remarkable..

AS for the commercial ones, I can't advise sorry..I would imagine they would be good..once you got the hang of running it..

lealea

Apr 25, 2009
Brisbane Australia
Thanks for the ideas I have heard of alot of people making there own but I think I will go commercial as time and convienence is the way we are going now with two young kids now. I love your lotus there I will add one of those to my list. Do you have any photos of your tanks fromt he front. leaela

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
You also need to look at your lighting, mine are mostly lit with fluros tubes, In those I keep the less light hungry plants in..ie Java fern, Hygrophilahttp://www.google.com.au/search?q=hygrophila&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=OXg&sa=X&rlz=1R1GGGL_en___AU357&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=zqj1TbamC5C2vQOtxLnZBg&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1053&bih=562 The lovely mosses, Crypts & Anubiashttp://discusfishcaresecrets.blogspot.com/2009/09/different-ypes-of-anubias-sp.html..They will also grow in high light tanks..there are a few I have left out..only cos I can't think of them :dk:
Most other plants imo need high output lighting.

Then there are your fertilisers, Plants need food & Nutrients,
I use The Dino Spit & Pee from Dave Green's range of ferts..
found at [URL="http://www.aquagreen.com.au[/URL]

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Another option is look into Diana Walstead 0r Tom Barr style tanks which use no ferts or CO2. here is a pic of mine.

Last edited:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
I run Co2 on two tanks.
One is on my 5 foot and is the disposable can system,,Not enough grunt for my big tank , so I will be moving it to the 3 foot to see how it goes..

My fav is my DIY system :clap: Running now for 2 years on a 70L tank with my are my 4 L397's, Cherry Shrimp & DAShrimp & a juvie commonlf bn..

The yeast mix goes like this.....

You'll need:
Just under a teaspoon of yeast (2/3) (the dry yeast for bread making is fine, comes with several satchels in the box)
2 cups sugar
A pinch of Bi-carb (helps to maintain steady pH)

Firstly, clean out your bottle with hot water till is has no smell to it. Fill the bottle with enough hot water to saturate the sugar to melt. Put your 2 cups of sugar in including the bi-carb, and give the bottle a good shake by placing a spare lid on or with your fingers/hands.

In a cup of 28-29 temp water(important), place your yeast in with a good pinch of sugar. Give it a good stir, and let it sit.(the sugar activates the yeast)

Fill your sugar bottle up with cold water, BUT just enough so that your yeast mix can still fit in and make it up to where the bottle starts to curve (spout).

When your bottle cools down to under 30, you can place your yeast mix in and give it another good shake. By this time your yeast should have activated.

Place your co2 cap back on TIGHTLY and your done!

It will take a few hours to build up enough pressure to push the C02 gas up to the diffuser.
The first morning after you have bubbles from diffuser, your fish may be on the top gasping a little,
This never happened to me, but it is something to watch for, as the C02 has an effect on your pH,
What I do is, turn my air up full at night , when light are turned off, This will displace the Gas faster, as the plants don't use C02 for photosynthesis when resting, & with the extra unused gas in the water it will cause pH swings,
The Bi Carb used in the recipe making process helps to keep the pH stable.
remember when the lights go on, you turn the air down to almost nothing....a few bubbles is ok.

Bottle lasts about three weeks..I always make mine the night before I am changing over, so the pressure is already built up enough to only take a short while to start to work the diffuser.
I don't know if this recipe is right for a bigger sized tank or even if it matters, another thing to find out I guess.
I haven't had any issues with mine..
This recipe creates 1 bubble per second of Co2 gas..

Now you just sit back and watch the plants grow out the top of your tank lol
Here are some pics
With my old regulator

The diffuser

My new fandangled reactor

The results

The growth you get is remarkable..

AS for the commercial ones, I can't advise sorry..I would imagine they would be good..once you got the hang of running it..
hi mooo,do u have a pump to move ur co2 bubbles round ur tank or do they just go straight up to the top of the tank?

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
It is kinda positioned next to the outlet of the HOB..So it helps disperse it some gets caught on the plant leaves. some gets caught in the current.